Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disaster

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    I measured the 2 pistons with the least amount of damage exactly where manley states to measure them. I was using 100 octane fuel. There was no oil anywhere in the intake, it all had to come from below. The two pistons in the photo had the most heat related damage. Water temp 230 max and oil temp in the pan 285 max. Could be some detonation but from what I am not sure. The A/F was ok and with that much oil in the combustion chamber WTF knows. The heads, block/sleeves, crank and rods will need to be mearsured but all seem fine. Aside from the aggravation hopefully I'am only out a set of pistons, rings, bearings and machine work. Remenber this engine had about 2 dozen starts, some slow driving arround the hood, a day and a half on the dyno and 10 laps on track. Calls and emails to builder unreturned at this point. Fortunately I have the temperment of a Shaolin Monk and I do enjoy wrenghing on these cars. FMR

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    BTY grasshoppers, I plan to install old engine this weekend. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132
    I measured the 2 pistons with the least amount of damage exactly where manley states to measure them. I was using 100 octane fuel. There was no oil anywhere in the intake, it all had to come from below. The two pistons in the photo had the most heat related damage. Water temp 230 max and oil temp in the pan 285 max. Could be some detonation but from what I am not sure. The A/F was ok and with that much oil in the combustion chamber WTF knows. The heads, block/sleeves, crank and rods will need to be mearsured but all seem fine. Aside from the aggravation hopefully I'am only out a set of pistons, rings, bearings and machine work. Remenber this engine had about 2 dozen starts, some slow driving arround the hood, a day and a half on the dyno and 10 laps on track. Calls and emails to builder unreturned at this point. Fortunately I have the temperment of a Shaolin Monk and I do enjoy wrenghing on these cars. FMR
    Those temps seem high but you might ping the downunder boys for their temp readings. As a point of reference, mine runs right on the thermostat at 195 water (I am removing T-stat and installing restrictor), and 230-240 oil temp in the pan with NO oil cooler. Only time mine has seen 220's on water temp was when the head gasket popped from not retorquing the head studs and after the rains at Mid Ohio and the radiator was coated in slime.

I know both of my B headed 4V's ran hot and would go down on power as the computer went into "limp mode".

Sounds like the pistons were setup "loose" to make power and had too much blowby...that will cause detonation with oil in the cylinders regardless of fuel.

good to hear you have not given up! See you at Cresson. I hope my beast is ready! :shock:
    Ah, fugg it.

Matt,
    Sounds like you're not pushing your motor too hard. Do you push the gas pedal all the way down? :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    .... Do you push the gas pedal all the way down? :wink:
    Guess I should try that huh?!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar

motor

(Frank) call richard painter
    AI # 12

Chris, no need to call Richard Painter, I'll explain it.

Matt...the gas pedal is the one on the far right. The further you push it down, the harder the engine will work and the faster your car will go. :roll:

Chris, no need to call Richard Painter, I'll explain it.

Matt...the gas pedal is the one on the far right. The further you push it down, the harder the engine will work and the faster your car will go. :roll:
    LMAO...gawd I am gonna miss you guys :roll:

.the gas pedal is the one on the far right. The further you push it down, the harder the engine will work and the faster your car will go. :roll:
    so, if I cut a hole in the floor pan and push the pedal through it, my car WILL go faster??? cuz, you know, I already bent the pedal up an inch from the floor to get more travel and that didn't help a bit!!!! not kidding either, ask Hood!!!

Sorry, Frank, ADD kicked in and these guys swayed me off the topic... back to the b-day party... see ya'll in a couple of days, cept for those going to TWS this weekend....