Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cody Powell possibly becoming a Texan! (shudder)

Senior Member Rookie Cody Powell's Avatar

Cody Powell possibly becoming a Texan! (shudder)

Hey my Texas AI/CMC brethern I am coming down to Austin on the 2nd of April to check it out for a possible new home.
    I have a couple of questions. First it seems to be fairly central to most of the races, none to close and none to far, however are there any closer road courses that could be used for practice?
    Second I am open to anywhere near a larger airport I know that none of you have any opinions :roll: but I am open to any suggestions on other places .
    And lastly anything negative or that I should know about Austin would be appreciated!
    Thanks Guys!
    Just hangin' with the dudes from Texas.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Yer gonna have to lose the goofy accent ...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Cody Powell possibly becoming a Texan! (shudder)

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Powell
    Hey my Texas AI/CMC brethern I am coming down to Austin on the 2nd of April to check it out for a possible new home.
    I have a couple of questions. First it seems to be fairly central to most of the races, none to close and none to far, however are there any closer road courses that could be used for practice?
    Second I am open to anywhere near a larger airport I know that none of you have any opinions :roll: but I am open to any suggestions on other places .
    And lastly anything negative or that I should know about Austin would be appreciated!
    Thanks Guys!
    I live in Georgetown and love it but I don't have to drive in Austin traffic. It's really bad! There is a track (Harris Hill) in San Marcos. I'm two hours from TWS and three and a half from MSRH, MSRC and ECR. Hallett is a haul (about seven hours). The thing I hate most about the Austin aera are the damn tree huggers.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    Yer gonna have to lose the goofy accent ...
    You think I talk funny you should hear those clowns from Nirth Dikuta!

Re: Cody Powell possibly becoming a Texan! (shudder)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Powell
    Thanks Guys!
    I live in Georgetown and love it but I don't have to drive in Austin traffic. It's really bad! There is a track (Harris Hill) in San Marcos. I'm two hours from TWS and three and a half from MSRH, MSRC and ECR. Hallett is a haul (about seven hours). The thing I hate most about the Austin aera are the damn tree huggers.

JJ
    When they grow up do they want to be Boulder? lol
    Damn dirty Hippies! :shock:
    Is Georgetown a suburb?
    We are about 8 hours from Hallet here so it is a wash.
    How far is that Harris Hill track from Austin?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Georgetown is about eighteen miles north of Austin (on I35). I lived most of my life just south of here (Round Rock) but it's grown to much. Georgetown still has that small town feel. With the new toll roads you can be at the Austin airport in about twenty five minutes.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Austin, the hippy town San Fransisco WISHES it could be... I am still befuddled how the old school TEXAS folks haven't run off all the hippies and queers yet but I guess they have found a way to live in peace.

Honestly, DFW area is pretty good. We have TWO tracks within 1.5 hours and only 5 hours to houston, 3 hours to TWS and Harris Hill and only 4 hours or so from Hallett! It's also 3 hours closer to all the really cool tracks NOT in TX!!!! :lol:
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    The central Texas area rocks. Been here for over 13 years and have been real happy. I'm in Round Rock which is north of Austin and closer than Georgetown. From my house I think it took me ~ 45 minutes to get to Harris Hill, even with the traffic. Which to be honest, is not all that bad. I guess it just depends on what your used to. I do make it a point to avoid downtown during typical rush hours just because I can. Heading north from Austin there is Pfluggerville, Round Rock, Georgetown. Not suburbs, but towns that have been growing together.

There is also a private track called the Driveway that some guys test at, but I have not been there yet. It's right near the Austin Airport.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Just for the record, Granbury is the geocentric center of the universe.

Thanks Matt I like the DFW I know that area a little bit and I will for sure check it out before I decide! Just getting started on this!

Hey Jeff I went to the Harris Hill website it looks cool, what is it like and is it purely member only?