Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is up with this???? (Toyo Announcement)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    this adds yet another reason that 2009 is a "evolution" year. w/ CMC/CMC-2 car count split down the middle and now the tire debacle, it really kinda flaws the data. once we get back to a predominately single class and all on the same tire, all this will be ancient history. it sucks. as of last week i was set on tires for Nationals and screwed locally, now i'm set locally and screwed for Nationals.

so i say we deal w/ it for the remainder of the season. have fun and remember why we all show up to race. R888's or not, i'll be the one having a good time.
    I am liking the new Glenn! :thumbs up:

I think the reason we are seeing this move is a major drop in car count. those that still have RA1's aren't showing up at events and NASA is working to preserve car counts and RETURN on costs to keep going the rest of the year. Has nothing to do with the crappy new tires, other than racers aren't willing to spend the money to keep racing this year. There is something else in the mix guys that isn't being said. I am purely speculating here, but I am rarely wrong on these hunches I get.

Yeah, the new tires suck....yeah, those with RA1's are going to have an advantage....who gives a flip?! Why do we show up to Race weekends? because it's fun and we like hanging out with each other...even though some of us snore more than others!

See you clowns at TWS. If you are showing up with R888's and cannot/will not get RA1's....PM me and I will share what I have found on car setup/tire pressures to help you out as much as I can....team downunder not included! Beyond that, keep your race faces on and shiny side up!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    This whole Toyo thing normally wouldn't have bothered me but my gay cowboy picture popped up this morning and put me in a bad mood. :lol:
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

I predict an 888 sweep at TWS with White, Proctor & Wirtz showing folks how it's done. ops:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    I predict an 888 sweep at TWS with White, Proctor & Wirtz showing folks how it's done. ops:
    They were so close there last time that if JB runs thin to winn R1's and JW has to run the 888 I'll put my money on JB. Unless he hits me in the rear going into T3.

JJ

Blog Entries
    This whole deal is ridiculous. Can't believe they have changed their minds so many times.
    Sure wish I wouldn't have just bought a new set of 888's. I'm ready to buy Hoho's, pull my restrictor and go AIX.

Or Mitch-you want to sell any 275 RA1s?

I predict an 888 sweep at TWS with White, Proctor & Wirtz showing folks how it's done. Embarassed
    Your prediction is only half right Todd, you must have been thinking of Team Downunder when you wrote the above as Matt will be on RA-1's. I'll forgive your obvious typo.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure if I am more disappointed in NASA or Toyo for this situation. NASA gave everyone plenty of notice on when the change over to R888's would be...and then pushed it out another two race weekends for good measure! NASA then decides that...just before our THIRD weekend to swap things up again? This should have been left to the regions to handle... Toyo replaces our much loved, though "old" technology tire with one that is more expensive and by NASA / Toyo's account within 0.1 - 0.2 sec (I would love to see the data on this!). With the technological advances that should have been made since the introduction of the RA-1, the fact that the R888 is not clearly superior to the RA-1 across the board in performance tells me the R888 is a failure.

So here we are...what now is the motivation for the competitors in our "spec" tire series to go over and try the R888? Are people really going to phase in R888's with all the uncertainty? If we had not made the change to 888's already, not modifying fenders, changing car setup, and spending more money on a possibly inferior (note benefit of doubt given) sure sounds good!

Question for you Glenn, how is the National Championship affected? Is that race considered as part of the season and will either tire be allowed, or will the tire war be settled in Utah?

For those of you that can now make races because of this decision, I am glad for it, but still very disappointed in how this came about.

Blah,

Mason

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    The R888 was allowed mid-year 2008 with the remainder of the season as a transition from the RA1s in American Iron (from memory ... don't pay attention to AI stuff, so forgive me if I'm wrong about the specific details)

At the same time, it was announced that in CMC, all of 2009 would be used as a transition year. Then late last year it was Jan 1 and then it was 3rd race weekend and now back to the original notice.

But I agree, Mason. Make a freaking decision and stick with it. Doesn't mean I like it, but I like waffling less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    I predict an 888 sweep at TWS with White, Proctor & Wirtz showing folks how it's done. Embarassed
    Your prediction is only half right Todd, you must have been thinking of Team Downunder when you wrote the above as Matt will be on RA-1's. I'll forgive your obvious typo.
    come on buddy! I will run 888's at TWS with you! I need to save the RA1's for nationals! I could use the set I had last year that are PERFECT for a win as they sit right now! I am more worried about making 40 minutes on the big track with enough fuel! :shock:

Let's sit down this weekend at apex if you are in town and look over the data from the last test session. I am sure we can find a way around these R888's...you are just going to have to find a way around me!
    Ah, fugg it.

Hmmmm....I see an AI battle a-brewin'.
    Take him up on his offer Melkiwooke....Matt got a ton of track time at TWS last weekend on both the 888's and RA1's. I think for the first time in a long time, he's starting to do his homework! :wink:

No typo....Matt's on his A-game with Wirtz-tenacity.

Senior Member Rookie

Wow

WOW! How often can one rule change? Like the weather in Texas, if you don't like it, wait a minute and it will change anyway.

Quote>Was there someone "local" that had the ability to shave tires down? I remember some discussion around the Eagles Canyone timeframe but didn't pay attention at the time....<

Jeff, I heard there is a shop on Mopac that shaves tires in Austin. Never used them, might be an internet rumor. Riethmeyer's auto repair. Let me know if you find someone, I have a set to shave. http://www.howiesays.com/index.html

Chuck
    CMC #14