Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wade Zimmer - CMC2 17

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar

Wade Zimmer - CMC2 17

Ok, so I just bought Jerry Jordan's CMC2 notchback Mustang a couple of weeks ago. I've been lurking on the board and at events for the last two (three?) years and figured it was time to jump on board.

I have met many of you, but know Gary Robertson and Nick Valentin the best. I went to school at A&M with those guys. I also know David Love and Misty from time at TWS. I'm looking forward to getting to put a face with a name for the rest of you soon.

Short background...I am an Architect in Bryan and am originally from East Texas, Nacogdoches to be exact. I have been in Bryan since 1998. My firm specializes in K-12 schools, but have recently done bank jobs (snicker, snicker), medical office buildings, a homeless shelter and some other interesting things.

I've been associated with the Texas A&M Sports Car Club for the last 10 years or so and autocross (poorly!) with them.

My daily driver is an '87 notch with Cobra brakes, MM coilovers, Bilsteins, PHB, TA, tubular front LCA's, solid rear lower's with heims, etc, etc. I have run track days at TWS in that car.

So I have a few questions...
    My first trip to the track in the new (to me) car will be at TWS this weekend running with MSC. ASSuming that all goes well, I intend to register for ECR on Sunday night. Jessica tells me that if I register before Monday I can avoid the late fee. Who do I need to talk to about getting going on my license? Mosty? I know I need to do some ride alongs, lead follows, etc. to get that going. My first inclination was to try to make every event next year as HPDE1/2/3/4 so that I would have had a chance to drive every track and then start racing in 2011. Other folks are telling me I should be able to do it more quickly which would be nice. Gary says that the field at Hallett is HUGE and that I NEED to race there. The car is as ready as it was when Jerry was driving it at the last race, or I guess as ready as a fairmont could ever be!

Any instructors coming to TWS this weekend that I could hook up with? If not, Sam Crumpacker and I will be harassing each other all weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Re: Wade Zimmer - CMC2 17

Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    Any instructors coming to TWS this weekend that I could hook up with? If not, Sam Crumpacker and I will be harassing each other all weekend.
    Sam is one of the best!! But if you want to step away from the "dark side"... I might hook you up with a ride in the #3 car...

Senior Member Grass-Passer jeremiahkellam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27
    Sam is one of the best!! But if you want to step away from the "dark side"... I might hook you up with a ride in the #3 car...
    Are those "rides" or "drives"?? Because I may be in the market to switch marks if I get to test drive the #3.. :wink:
    2010 CMC2 National Champion
    2010 Texas CMC2 Champion
    2010 Summer Shootout Champion - CMC2
    Call it what you want... But that sounds like a Triple Crown to me!!
    http://www.gagemotorsports.com

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Hey! No poaching the Ford guys. He's one of ours!
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    A ride with a podium finisher from nationals!?! ZOMG yay :-) haha
    Thanks David. See you there.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahkellam
    Are those "rides" or "drives"?? Because I may be in the market to switch marks if I get to test drive the #3.. :wink:
    Ask JB... I put the most uncomfortable, skinny ass seat in the car... Its like driving a gocart... oh wait?!?!?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

So I have a few questions...
    Yes, you'll need big orange Rs on the car.
    My first inclination was to try to make every event next year as HPDE1/2/3/4 so that I would have had a chance to drive every track and then start racing in 2011. Other folks are telling me I should be able to do it more quickly which would be nice.
    Mosty is the licensing guy so you're on the right path. This is my rookie year and it sounds like you're ahead of where I was on track time in a given car. EVERY track save Houston/ECR is new to me this year. ECR was new to me last year where I had several of the vets ride along in the Camry - I know, you just don't know what to say to that.

I had the racecar teched and ready in January and started all the Houston races from the back and a couple of the Cresson starts from the back due to the the wet conditions. I started at the back in Cresson because it made me more comfortable not that I was asked to, though in hindsight it would have been a reasonable request.

Gary says that the field at Hallett is HUGE and that I NEED to race there.
    I agree it's a great event; talk to Michael at ECR so he knows what you want to accomplish.

DISCLAIMER: Like you I followed the group, made some events in DE, asked questions while building the car and got to the point where it was time to jump in. It has not been all rosy and I continue to work on deficiencies in the car and driver. BUT, everyone has gone out of their way to encourage me even while delivering criticism.

I leaned on Mosty/Fernandez/Landrum as much as I dare to get in the racing group quickly. They gave me the benefit of the doubt but would have no problems putting me to the back of the field if it was warranted. My experience is that if you show a "good" level of car control and awareness (remember Gary's comment about the field size at Hallett?) you should have no problems getting the provisional races done early in 2010. Here's some of the conversation from those first couple weekends.

edit: added Rookie Lessons link
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Wade.... I hope you make the ECR event. This would be a good time to meet everyone.

Mosty is the person to talk with about licensing.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Wade, give me a call and we can talk about your expectations, experience, etc. for next year.
    Check out the "sticky" in the Announcements section for Comp Licensing information. This will get you going in the right direction.
    After that give me a call and we can work out the specifics. cell 972-897-1424, best time is around 6:00 PM.

I look forward to having you out on track, it is going to be wierd seeing someone else in that car other than the Jordan's.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

If you make ECR, I should be around instructing so hit me up and I'll ride with ya! I'm Nuts like that! :P
    Ah, fugg it.