Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering Column Help

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Bolted should be fine. Use good hardware and the largest possble washers and all that jazz...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    David, now that I am finished with Misty's car...well, the wiring anyway, stop by on the next PDS weekend and we can talk a little more about getting your car prepp'd for AI. Ideally, if you can see, I'd lower the seat, move it back if there is room in the cage and then lower the wheel to you. It's just going to be part of adjusting to a new car that was essentially built for someone else. Not a big issue but when done right, adds a ton of driver comfort and relaxes you so you just drive the car.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by way2neary
    By the way, can the seat bolted to the floorbaord or do I need to weld something in?
    I welded some 1X2 box in to the stock seat mount doublers in my car and bolted the side plates/seat to those.

Personally, I would NOT feel comfortable simply bolting to the stock floor pan.

Take Matt up on his offer; the mustang guys will know better, but find a place to add some reinforcement for the seat mount. Plenty of alternatives in AI.

Maybe something bewteen a cage bar and a stiffener on the trans tunnel?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    If I remember correctly, there are two small crossmembers running laterally under the seat. Weld a couple of bars longitudinally between these bars, drill and tap holes every inch, drill holes in seat pan to match and you have an adjustable seat. The seat back braces that are commercially available are usually adjustable as well.

If you really think about it, the seat holds you in place under normal loading while racing, the harness and HANS are what restrain you in a crash. Your mounting can be designed with that in mind, but its never a bad idea to build with a little extra strength. I'll be glad to show you my setup at TWS if you haven't gotten resolution by then, or my car is at 290 and Eldridge if you need to see it earlier.

281-413-1948
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.