Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to join the fun - new AI/AIX build!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar

Time to join the fun - new AI/AIX build!

Well, the inevitable has officially happened. The wife / crew chief finally talked me into putting a cage in the car and going w2w with you clowns. I'm the guy with the white / orange 30th Anniv. SS that's been lurking around doing the DE thing for a few years and mooching tips from everyone.

The build-up will officially begin after Hallett and I'm shooting to have it done in time for some shake-down runs prior to Houston next year. Would like to run the plans by you all and ask for input, suggestions, & general sanity check:

First, let me be clear about my intentions - I have no aspirations of being competitive for the first few seasons or longer. I'm fine with that. I just want to make the car safer (cage, fire system, etc.), work on my racecraft beyond what I can get away with in a DE/TT environment, and run with a more enjoyable / friendly crowd.

The car as it sits now:
    420rwhp, ~3600lbs (w/ driver, 1/2 tank of gas)
    C6 brakes
    Koni's, 600/160 springs, 35/19mm bars
    17x9.5" wheels

The rules put me in AIX. I'm thinking this is fine for now - it'll give me the least restrictive place to run while I sort things out. Once I want to start racing for points I can dial back the heads/cam and/or use a restrictor to get the power down to an AI level. I'll probably need the extra power just to stay on the lead lap my first few races
    Anything horribly wrong with my logic here?

Cage - any local builders worth recommending? I've been talking to Alan Blaine about shipping me a pre-bent, pre-notched kit and I have a friend that's built cages before who's willing to do the welding. Curious what other options are available within a 4 hour radius of Austin. Haven't found much on the 'ol interweb yet....

Other than that, I think I just need to get my suit, seat, harness, fire system, driveshaft loop, master switch, steering wheel, & remove the steering lock & airbags. Obviously the carpet, AC, unused wiring, etc. will all come out. Anything I'm missing aside from stickers & "little stuff"?

Random advice and tips are very welcome....this will be my first race car. Thanks in advance for the help....looking forward to seeing everyone at Hallett.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Welcome aboard, Casey.

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Excellent, welcome. Once the hook gets set, you're hosed. FMR

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Welcome!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Re: Time to join the fun - new AI/AIX build!

AWESOME! Welcome to the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_SS
    I have no aspirations of being competitive for the first few seasons or longer. I'm fine with that.
    That'll last about a green flag.

Cage - any local builders worth recommending?
    You should talk to LAW Motorsports ~ really. Mitch and Glenn have it down. If I hadn't been so bent on building my cage myself... Also talk to Greg Lucas at Lucas Motorsports in Houston ~ other recommendation I recieved and I liked the quality and layout of his wordk as well.

Have you considered selling this car and buying a built/tuned/sorted car?

Obviously the carpet, AC, unused wiring, etc. will all come out.
    Don't break/mangle/cut the upper dash trim piece. It's like gold.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

Cage - any local builders worth recommending? I've been talking to Alan Blaine about shipping me a pre-bent, pre-notched kit and I have a friend that's built cages before who's willing to do the welding. Curious what other options are available within a 4 hour radius of Austin. Haven't found much on the 'ol interweb yet...
    Hard to go wrong with Blane stuff. Too bad he's so far away. A little closer to home, I would check out Greg Lucas in Houston. He could install the Blane stuff or replicate it from scratch. 713-462-0068.

The LAW boys obviously have the F-Body cage thing down, also.

Random advice and tips are very welcome...

At this stage, my advice would be not to do anything permanent that will kick you out of CMC2.

Welcome aboard.

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Well, the inevitable has officially happened. The wife / crew chief finally talked me into putting a cage in the car and going w2w with you clowns. I'm the guy with the white / orange 30th Anniv. SS that's been lurking around doing the DE thing for a few years and mooching tips from everyone.
    I thought we'd hit our orange/white quota...

Cage - any local builders worth recommending?
    Kurt Janish at Janco in Wylie is excellent.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar

Have you considered selling this car and buying a built/tuned/sorted car?

Yes. I've thought long and hard about this one and it's a difficult choice but in the end I'm simply not willing to sell this car or let it rot in storage. I've owned it for 10 years, have a ton of sweat equity in it, but never drive it anymore. It's been a dedicated track toy for the last 2 years. Don't really want to drive it on the street anymore so this is just the next chapter in it's life. Will I be pissed if I ball it up? Of course. I'd be more pissed about seeing it rot away in storage though.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the tips. I'll keep you posted on the progress....
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    I think Bill Buck in Austin did the CMC cage in Morgans F-body.

If you want I can dig up Bill's contact info.

DD

Welcome Casey! Look forward to seeing you in the series!