Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Dyno's from the Hallett race weekend

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    They wanted to do a teardown??? There's no teardown in CMC, who is "they"??
    The NASA Techs + Jay... I was parked right next to it all and stayed there as mine was one of the last cars to get tech'd, but after coming off track from a 20 minute race about 25 minutes in tech was long enough... I had to go get ready for the next round. The whole thing was strange...

I'm still waiting for an official explanation as to what was going on... I want to know.
    Keep in mind gang, we started to see this at the last event in Cresson where they were checking seatbelt mounting in POST RACE TECH.... figured that would be in PRE EVENT tech.....?

Anyway, where's my popcorn....?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    That was a bit odd.

The impound stuff didn't start until R2. In R2, I sat for a while and then they came around and checked the kill switch.

After R3, they made me do an egress test (I got out in 8 sec -- not bad for a fat-ass!)

After R4, they complained about some exposed electrical connections (a terminal strip,) that they wanted to see covered.

Did they do this to the other two race groups?
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

CMC17
    omg omg omg!!!!

Here's a beef I have... If the top 5 cars are pulled in after a race and get weighed.. that's 100% ok with me. However at Cresson the top 5 were pulled in and not only were they weighed, they were checked for seat belt mounting location for the submarine belt. If cars are going to be checked for compliance, I think ALL cars should be checked! Impound the whole lot and check 'em all. I don't understand (maybe I'm just slow) why only the top 5 have to be in compliance??!!??

Someone help me out here!

I want some positive reinforcement here, please don't send me to my room for a time out.

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Here's the rub - pulling all the cars in our group to impound - with so many cars in AI and CMC now - usually creates more problems than it fixes.

At Hallett, it was even worse than some other tracks/events because they hearded us all up the hill towards the tech shed, but of course you can't fit 17 cars up there, so half the field was forced to either hold their foot on super hot brakes, or kill the engine and risk having it not restart as is often the case with hot engines. It was taking at least 30 minutes of standing around in the sun to get everyone through tech - which was 30 minutes we could not afford on a weekend with only 3 run groups and precious little time between sessions.

So while I agree in compliance checks are going to happen they ideally should be across the board, herding our whole group to tech post race is a very poor way of doing it. If they must do it post race, then I suggest perhaps they just send the top 4 to impound (as required by the CCRs), and then something like every other car? This should help keep the number manageable, and not inconvenience all the drivers all of the time.

Personally, I agree with Matt - there needs to be more pre-race checking - perhaps the tech guys need to wander through the pits more - come to us instead of us going to them when we aren't all trying to recover from the heat of battle.
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I have two observations:

First, if you're going to impound and check performance advantages (weight, sealing the hood for a dyno pull, etc...) then do it for the top N finishers in each race.

Second, if you're going to impound and check for safety or other items (egress test, sub strap mounting, etc...) pick M cars from the field RANDOMLY.

Then, N + M should equal some number of cars that can be pushed through the process in some qacceptable period of time (10 minutes? 15?)

Weighing and dynoing a back marker doesn't make much sense to me, and doing safety checks on only the top finishers doesn't make any sense, either.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    doing safety checks on only the top finishers doesn't make any sense, either.
    Especially coming OFF the track.

However, I understand the necessity of it when Tech arrives at the nth hour.

Clifton has been very good about showing up at a reasonable time on Friday, I must say.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    I'm home.
    224/297 avg.

Who reimburses the $65 and who has my 3 winner stickers and 4 medals?

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    I'm home.

Who reimburses the $65
    Good luck ....

Congrats JB, well done.

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    I'm home.
    224/297 avg.

jb
    He was throwing rocks (literally) all over the place. Nice numbers!

JB
    At first I thought those wooden ramps were some funky ballast and was going to speak with Mitch about updating his car to make it faster.