Thread: Build progress - AIX #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar

Build progress - AIX #29

Had a great time at Hallett, car did great, driver did decent (I think) for first time there but didn't get any laptimes so not sure... David Love - thanks for smacking me around about the transponder - I'll either have one or remember to call ya next time

Took Monday off to rest up but got back wrenching on the car Tuesday and been going at it a few hours a night since then. Got the doors gutted, new steering wheel & QD installed, dash gutted, heater core removed, and 90% of the sound deadener stripped out. Not bad for less than a week's worth of evenings...just need to pull the rest of the sound deadener, get the wiring harness sorted out and strip all the seam sealant crap out then it's off to Mitch & Glenn for the cage. I'll be sitting out TWS but am hoping to have the car ready for its rookie debut at Eagles. Lots to do though...going to require lots of beer...might even have to fire up the smoker a few times and get it done BlueFire Pony style

Special thanks to Glenn, Mitch, Mike P., Nick R., Raybob, & James P. for access to their cars and taking the time to answer my deluge of questions. Got a ton of good ideas / advice and am trying to put them all to good use. Many thanks guys!

Couple pics attached of recent progress....what a mess!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Oh - forgot to ask - anybody know if the door harnesses on a 97 4th gen have any shared grounds or anything weird that would make it a bad idea to just cut them off? Anything other sections I can simply cut out without consequence?

I converted to OBDI a long time ago and wrote my own tune for the 396 that's in it now so I'm comfortable turning off the VSS or anything else that might affected PCM-wise, just not sure what circuits might be affected and if they're something I can program around or not.

Thanks.
    Casey
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When dealing w/ Mike P's car are a few others in the past, I recall that the door harness will pretty much unplug from the main harness. This is due to some came w/out electric windows and locks. The whole thing should be plug and play.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey_SS
    anybody know if the door harnesses on a 97 4th gen have any shared grounds or anything weird that would make it a bad idea to just cut them off?

I don't know squat about the GM harness but in my opinion, it's a bad idea to cut any harness. Pull out any unpluggable harnesses. Identify unneeded wires and de-pin them from the connectors. Cutting them has the potential for some unexplained problems in the future...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey_SS
    anybody know if the door harnesses on a 97 4th gen have any shared grounds or anything weird that would make it a bad idea to just cut them off?
    Identify unneeded wires and de-pin them from the connectors. Cutting them has the potential for some unexplained problems in the future...
    I got a subscription to AllData DIY to get the wiring diagrams and did just that. The only electrical problems I've ever had were related to splices I made to tie in the disconnect switch~both bad crimps. Having stock wires to/from ECU and under the hood just seems like a good absent a wholesale change to a Painless or other replacement harness.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

You can certainly cut the wires, though if you do, insulate the ends (best way Ive seen is to fold the wire back on itself and put on a piece of heat shrink). Like Richard said, in the long run you're better off de-pinning the connector at the other end and pulling the entire wire out. You have the dash out, might as well do it right.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Rookie
    Al, great call. A clean pull is better than a dirty pull, especially when dealing with the risk of shared grounds ;-)

Casey, glad to hear the build is coming along. There's no turning back now!