Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Publicity / recruitment idea

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar

Publicity / recruitment idea

Seen several posts and great ideas on ways to get more exposure for the series and build car count. I'll offer up yet another...

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not but what if those of us who live in the same area pick a day or two a year to all go out to our local dragstrip / autocross and make an appearance? It'd be fun #1 (provided nobody grenades a rear end) and #2 it could go a long way in driving exposure with the crowd most likely to take a real interest in what we're doing. Just a thought....talk amongst yourselves
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I'm thinking about dragging mine to the Texas Mile ~ pull the mirrors, tape the seams and let it rip.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The big stopper for me is a CMC car is classed as a CP car in Autocross.
    I would need different tires.

Drag racing, Thjats more interesting. Stock 10 bolt??? Good luck. I've done 1.8 60's on one w/ a 3600 lb car making 200+ more HP. I guess it would hold up fine. Drop a pair of OEM rear springs in it and let her rip.

Texas Mile!!! Yes, I really want to see what a CMC car can do.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Actually, For Autocross, I'm sure you could get classed in BSP as that is where ASedan cars are placed (since we're sooooo close to an ASedan level of prep)

Problem with drag racing I see is people who drag race would be discouraged at racing such 'slow' cars. Drag racers don't like stock engines.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    Actually, For Autocross, I'm sure you could get classed in BSP as that is where ASedan cars are placed (since we're sooooo close to an ASedan level of prep)

Problem with drag racing I see is people who drag race would be discouraged at racing such 'slow' cars. Drag racers don't like stock engines.
    They prefer to spend thousands on driveline because they're $100 brake rotors are "too expensive".

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Drag Racing-Don't think you will pass tech without side windows. Also, with the battery in the back you are suppossed to have an external on/off switch sticking out the rear of the car.
    The way to recruit I think is through the HPDE ranks. Which around here means going to the groups other than NASA to find people actually interested in going wheel to wheel.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL
    The way to recruit I think is through the HPDE ranks. Which around here means going to the groups other than NASA to find people actually interested in going wheel to wheel.
    Love, Crumpacker and I got TWS PDS covered!
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL
    Love, Crumpacker and I got TWS PDS covered!
    Well maybe, I did about 20 track days at TWS over two years with TWS Motorsports Club and The Driver's Edge and didn't have any desire to do W2W.

I got interested in competition and found NASA time trials though talking to a TT'er at one of the above events.

It was probably this forum that convinced me to buy a race car.

Soooooo, "we" could probably do a better job at the HPDEs. But it needs to be a soft sell because a most of the track day guys that I knew when I started are still doing track days.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Senior Member Rookie
    For what its worth, you guys found me on Rookie Day when I was attending a normal HPDE session. That event went a long way toward convincing me to run with you guys.

I recall that the Mustang Club of Houston has an annual track day at TWS. That may be a good place to recruit too. I would assume their is a Camaro Club that does the same.

DE -> TT is an easy sell

once they're in TT, racing is an easier sell
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"