Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Publicity / recruitment idea

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    IMHO -- one of the biggest obstacles to racing is the perceived danger.

Racing IS dangerous, but the general public has been trained to think if you race your car, you'll wreck it in almost every race. All the racing highlight shows concentrate on the accidents (among other things.) and rereally lurid ones make it to the opening graphics for the races (remember Joey Hand's big end-over-end crash at Mid Ohio? You see it at the start of every ALMS broadcast now.)

TT deals with that a bit, once you get through to them that time trials are fundamentally different from w2w, but even that can be difficult.

What we need is a way to demonstrate to the public that our kind of racing isn't as dangerous as they've been led to believe.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40

Racing IS dangerous, but the general public has been trained to think if you race your car, you'll wreck it in almost every race. All the racing highlight shows concentrate on the accidents (among other things.) and rereally lurid ones make it to the opening graphics for the races (remember Joey Hand's big end-over-end crash at Mid Ohio? You see it at the start of every ALMS broadcast now.)

TT deals with that a bit, once you get through to them that time trials are fundamentally different from w2w, but even that can be difficult.

What we need is a way to demonstrate to the public that our kind of racing isn't as dangerous as they've been led to believe.
    Then you can't take Glenn's car out anywhere as an example! :lol:
    Glenn you in town this weekend? I should be over at the house one day this weekend.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    The public? I wouldn't waste time trying to educate the public. First mention of road racing usually gets ugly stares. Then you spend a few minutes trying to explain that road racing != street racing as the back away from you, you evil person you.

AutoX and DE's are your fishing grounds
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL

Then you can't take Glenn's car out anywhere as an example! :lol:
    Glenn you in town this weekend? I should be over at the house one day this weekend.
    I should be some. Only plans I have is to go to Mitch's to bend some tube for a couple new cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    The public? I wouldn't waste time trying to educate the public. First mention of road racing usually gets ugly stares. Then you spend a few minutes trying to explain that road racing != street racing as the back away from you, you evil person you.

AutoX and DE's are your fishing grounds
    By "public" I mean all non-racing folk, which happens to include AutoX and DE folks.

Instructing at TWS PDS, I talk to a LOT of folks about NASA and getting into competitive driving (TT and entry-level W2W.) By far, the most common concern is damage to the car.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    I wouldn't waste time trying to educate the public. First mention of road racing usually gets ugly stares. Then you spend a few minutes trying to explain that road racing != street racing as the back away from you, you evil person you.
    This is usually the problem I always I get when mentioning road racing among the drag racing and dirt track guys.

They usually think "open road racing" if it even registers as what the heck it is. :roll:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    If I was running TWS, I would put in an 1/8mi drag strip, a 1/5mi dirt oval, a 1/3mi paved oval and maybe a motocross track. Maybe a kart track and a skateboard park.
    I used to race motocross at a place in Corpus called Speedway park. On Saturday nite you paid one admission price and you got to see motocross,paved oval racing and.........wait for it.........mud drags.
    Man, they had good hotdogs.

Jb

Senior Member Grass-Passer jeremiahkellam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    If I was running TWS, I would put in an 1/8mi drag strip, a 1/5mi dirt oval, a 1/3mi paved oval and maybe a motocross track. Maybe a kart track and a skateboard park.
    I used to race motocross at a place in Corpus called Speedway park. On Saturday nite you paid one admission price and you got to see motocross,paved oval racing and.........wait for it.........mud drags.

Jb
    No bumper cars???
    2010 CMC2 National Champion
    2010 Texas CMC2 Champion
    2010 Summer Shootout Champion - CMC2
    Call it what you want... But that sounds like a Triple Crown to me!!
    http://www.gagemotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahkellam
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch

Jb
    No bumper cars???
    Isn't that AI/CMC?

I like Jeff's idea. I think the kart track should go in first. We already have a 1/4 mile strip and a paved 1 mile and 2 mile oval. Can do mud drags from turn 6-7 driver's left after a rain. As for motocross, we can get Glenn to consult, he's in the dirt a lot. :P

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Who woke Grandpa Burch up?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.