Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta install a new cam...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    I do what I can when I can.

Have you completely stripped it of unnecessary weight? Last time I worked on it, not only was there room for a lot of small changes, there was a lot of low hanging fruit. Removing weight will be more effective than adding power. Don't make the engine go boom. That will slow you down more than anything...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    Have you completely stripped it of unnecessary weight?
    Pretty much with the exception of going to fiberglass or carbon body panels. That's on the list, too. I need to get the glass out of the car and put in Lexan.

All in due time. Money and time are limited, especially with the new kid, so my upgrade path probably won't be the same as yours. The engine will get refreshed over the winter so I decided as long as I'm in the engine, I'll do the cam now rather than later.

Don't make the engine go boom. That will slow you down more than anything...
    I couldn't be much slower than I am now. :roll:

The new combo will still be fairly tame. I won't be spinning it much past 6000.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40

The new combo will still be fairly tame. I won't be spinning it much past 6000.
    Heck, I think Marshall shifts his at 5,800 RPM and it makes around 315 hp.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I have an "off the shelf" Comp Cam and "lined up the dots". 312HP/314TQ IIRC. Shift at 5800. Now this is with GT-40X heads with "small" 1.90/1.54 valves and smaller intake runners (174cc). Robert has a set of AFR-185's that are going to need some Rev's to breathe properly. Hopefully the intake and exhaust are matched to the heads.

I've neve degreed a cam, so call me lazy.

I guess I would be pissed to put something together and check it just to find out it's off.

Since I'm running stock pistons, P/V clearance isn't as big of a deal for me, as it would have to go "boom" for them to say "hi" to one another.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    I have degree'd all my cams.

The only thing I get out of it is being able to set my timing pointer to exactly TDC 0

That's it.

...and if you are planning on spinning past 6k, good luck with keeping it together.

My very well built 331 (330HP/350TQ) shifts at 5600-5700, my past 306 (315HP/315TQ) shifted at 5500-5600, going past that did no good. Your dyno will determine your shift points.