Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mustang brake ducts - Who needs?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I have a spare set of 96+ spindles off my car. $100 will need hubs and nuts along with bolt through bump steer kit.

edited for additional info.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    I'm running the 94-95 spindles, 94 a-arms, Max Motorsports tapered bumpsteer kit, and a modified DownUnder brake duct kit. I had to do some modifications to the backing plates to make them fit the 94 spindle, but it was minor having to do with the mounting tabs. I also reduced the diameter of the inlet tube by slicing, trimming, and re-welding the inlet tube to make it easier to slip the hose on. The inlet tube has exactly the same o.d. as the i.d. of the typical tubing, including the tubing I got from Daron. I used a/c ductwork/flues from home depot for the inlet side and fitted them into the fog light holes.

Good luck.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'm pretty sure I have a set of '96 spindles laying around, but I'm not ready to try that route yet. I think I'll just take two of my old spare dust shields and use those as templates, along with Daron's photo to make some brackets of my own, or maybe buy his and modify like Rob did. I'll let you know how that turn out.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'm pretty sure I have a set of '96 spindles laying around, but I'm not ready to try that route yet. I think I'll just take two of my old spare dust shields and use those as templates, along with Daron's photo to make some brackets of my own, or maybe buy his and modify like Rob did. I'll let you know how that turn out.
    That's a good route to go for now Wade..the templated dust shields..what I am planning too...I completely tore up my front fascia and all my cool fangled brake ducting getting in some Cheatin' Bastard practice at ECR before my first race with AI/CMC (yes, I practiced the "hard-off" but I also had a 2:03 that day on used up tires - and only ran like 5 laps )...since then I've either run w/o ducting or just zip tied it in. Now that I have two whole days planned to work on the car, I plan to delegate a welding job to my brother-in-law and get that repaired.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    The backing plates really aren't rigid enough to deal with the hose pulling and pushing on them. Tried it a long time ago and had to abandon it once the plate gave up the ghost and fell apart.

Agent 47 also sells a kit that work on foxes and S197's....? try their site.
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    The backing plates really aren't rigid enough to deal with the hose pulling and pushing on them. Tried it a long time ago and had to abandon it once the plate gave up the ghost and fell apart.

Agent 47 also sells a kit that work on foxes and S197's....? try their site.
    Not sure about Wade but I was just using the dust shield as a template to cut out a more sturdy, yet lightweight, plate. I've bought enough crap for this car that I could have fab'd myself...while I am not going to go crazy and fab engine stuff, I can handle the occasional chassis and aero component.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Same for me. I plan to use the old dust shields as an easier way to make heavier versions that will support the ducting. I'm trying to save $$ since Saferacer took all of mine. On another note, new safety gear arriving soon!
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34