Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Racing oil & cats

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    All my engine builders always ask what I'm using and tell me to keep using it.
    All of them? How many engines we talking here?

:wink:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I use AmsOil 5W/30 (ASL). Nothing fancy, just their standard 25K mile oil. Same stuff that goes in the Tahoe and Honda. That way, I can just buy gallon containers by the trunk full a few times a year.

I have 11 quarts in the system (7qt pan, 3 qt accusump, and a cooler). I typically see 260F oil temps and only have it go higher if I happen to "cut the grass" and pack the front of the grille full of clover or whatever weed is in season.

I'm planning on running the whole season on the same oil and just keep an eye on the level. It takes a long time to get that many quarts dirty enough to block the filter. Also, the engine is tired so I don't feel like pampering it. (plus I'm lazy and the car is 45-minutes away so working on it takes planning).

Unless you are seeing 280+ I wouldn't worry about it.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I run Redline 15/50 in the blue bottle. Used to run Valvoline VR1 20/50 but typically see oil temps around 280-300 and just don't trust a non-synthetic oil at those temps. My motor was also built with fairly loose bearing clearance (.0025) and requires a heavier oil than a stock motor would. When I get around to ditching the cats, I'll switch to the red bottle of Redline.
    I drain and refill the oil after two events and change the filter (Wix) after 4 events. Probably overkill but better than the other way around.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I use AmsOil 15w50 racing synthetic and change the oil every 3 events. My oil temp typically is around 270 in cooler weather and 290-300 in the hot months. I run an oil cooler.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonNW View Post
    What is everyone using for motor oil? My LS1 oil temperatures last summer have me concerned. (I know, I know, religion and politics aren't as bad as motor oil discussions!)

Bryan - are you paying about $11.99 a quart for the Motul?

This Motul competition oil is used by Turner Motorsports but is $15/quart.

Pennzoil says that the American LeMans Ferraris use off the shelf 10-40W Ultra Euro Formula at about $8.50/quart. It will also be used by the Penske Indycars.

Casey - what Redline are you using?

Does anyone use Mobil 1? I've heard some talk about engine failures and that has me concerned since I am using it. Of course the '07 Mustang did 40 track days with it...

Any other suggestions?

And while I'm at it, how often to you change your oil and/or filter? I could get Ford Racing filters for the Mustang, any suggestions for the Camaro?
    I use the 300V competition 15/50. I get it from Alamo Motorsports because of Patterson. Search on FRRAX for oil threads as there are many that blame Mob 1 as it gets too thin to quick. Just ask Patterson as he used to change his Mob 1 during a race weekend. Yes its more expensive but I will run the Motul all season and then get it analyzed. So the cost difference isn't as big in the long term. I run a Mobil 1 M107 oil filter.

I think you have a good aluminum radiator so I would think your water temps should stay below 180*? Do you have a built in oil cooler too? What are your oil temps? My oil temps are pretty low and definitely not hurting the Motul.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I do have an Al radiator and external oil cooler. The temps were 215 water and 265 oil at TWS last August IIRC.

A.J. at PST was surprised at the temps, he said that the oil cooler was "sized" properly (for the HP maybe?)

I'll pay more attention at TWS this month.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    265? You got nothing to worry about.