Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AST Contingency

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Must be your sparkling personality. :wink:

I know I tried to get a set and couldn't get the time of day.

Edit:
    I've gotten a couple PMs and e-mails asking what my issues were. So, I'll post what my experience was.

First of all, Jeff, with all due respect, making and maintaining contact with AST was my issue. So taking it off-line, from my experience, is futile.

When the AST folks came to ECR last fall, I met him, shook his hand and told him I needed a set of rear shocks. He nodded politely and then went on about his way.

Then later on, I think Jeremiah posted a link for some "Camaro" shocks.

I e-mailed AST asking what years they fit. The response was "Camaro". That's it.

So I e-mailed again asking specifics about 3rd gen or 4th gen fitment, valving and stroke. His response was "Like Jeff Wirtz's car."

Again, I e-mailed back that I wasn't comfortable debriefing a competitor on his set up. Response was "No longer available."

So I tried on two different occasions to buy shocks from AST. I just got the vibe that I wasn't on his priority list. That concerned me because shocks don't last forever and need servicing ever couple years. What kind of follow-up service could I expect based upon my atempt at initial purchase?

I do hope that this is AST growing pains. The series needs more suppliers as these platforms are starting to get long in the tooth.

But my experience has been anything but

7.33.6 Any non-remote reservoir shock absorbers, of any origin, that are readily available to the public from a retail source for less than $800 a pair may be used provided they attach to the OEM stock unmodified mounting points and do not alter the stock geometry, with the exceptions outlined in 7.33.8 below.
    If AST can't or won't supply a shock for a 4th gen, then please tell me and this is a moot point.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I had no luck either and had to buy elsewhere.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Jeremy Gunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    But my experience has been anything but

7.33.6 Any non-remote reservoir shock absorbers, of any origin, that are readily available to the public from a retail source for less than $800 a pair may be used provided they attach to the OEM stock unmodified mounting points and do not alter the stock geometry, with the exceptions outlined in 7.33.8 below.
    If AST can't or won't supply a shock for a 4th gen, then please tell me and this is a moot point.
    They never stocked our price range of shocks before someone brought them the data and asked them to create them. These are still in the early stages of design and production. Now they are available. They are trying to help us, maybe you could try to help them help you... Brian is a good guy, and he will work with you, but you might need to bring him some data... If you want him to supply you with their shock at this price range.

This was my experience... and could be yours with a bit of effort. Thanks to Captain Jeremiah I didn't have to do the leg work.

You'll need more than a shock Mitch!!! :twisted:
    Mosty Brothers' Racing
    #22 CMC2
    I have groupies...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Not sure what more I could have done. Talking face to face and e-mailing certainly wasn't working ... in my case.

Trust me ... I realize NO vendor can maintain a supply of shocks to cover all spring rates, ride heights and travel lengths.

To me, "readily available" means some one who I can give my needs to, take my money and give me product in return.

And my last statement was meant to mean if AST decides not to support the 4th gen, then it is what it is. I would just like to have known that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know this is posted on the Texas AI/CMC site, but this is the same song, second verse from region to region. Mitch's is one example of "getting nowhere" w/ face to face converations as well as internet contact. Add to this more than a few dozen having issues redeaming the contingincy. Its a common problem.

Lets hope it is a matter of "growing pains" and it has all been resolved.
    I'm glad they offer a shock for the Fox/SN-95 and 3rd gen. No-one else have ever been able to get thier shocks under the price point. That and I'm tired of those guys crying foul about the 4th gen having an advantage in this area. Looks like another reason to pop those Mustangs back up to 3150-3200.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    Looks like another reason to pop those Mustangs back up to 3150-3200.
    OK, most Mustangs are at 3150-3200. The only one that isn't is the Fox and it has the most narrow track width of any platform.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    Looks like another reason to pop those Mustangs back up to 3150-3200.
    OK, most Mustangs are at 3150-3200. The only one that isn't is the Fox and it has the most narrow track width of any platform.
    It is also the shortest.
    Race shock availability was always an issue w/ those 3 platforms I mentioned.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Race shock availability was always an issue w/ those 3 platforms I mentioned.
    We could all start eating cake and the shocks shall fall from the sky like manna from heaven...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Do you really want to make lists of the advantages of each platform?

OK, the fox is 13" shorter in body length than your Camaro.
    "Some" Mustangs are lighter.

Start a new thread to build on this list and I will start drawing up my list. :wink:
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Posting this to nip some rumors in bud.

I have a custom set of ASTs on my car. They are not legal for CMC. They are rod/rod ended with custom valving, dual adjustable, remote reservoir, full coil over.

I've had great customer service from Brian and Stuart.

To make a long story short - my rear shocks were bottoming out, but that was not the fault of AST. I mis-spec'd the rear shock length when I had them built because I forgot to include the height of my custom rear upper shock mounts.

So rather than me having to rebuild a new set of rear shocks, I'm lowering my rear shock mount by that distance. After much debate at Nationals, I decided that it was unsafe to try a track fix because I have full rear suspension load on those mounts.

I'll do what I can to visit with Brian and Stuart to make sure the CMC 4th gen rears are in stock and ready to go when people order them.

MP