Thread: How do I remove Mustang steering wheel lock?

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar

How do I remove Mustang steering wheel lock?

Talked to a few different people and haven't got a concrete answer on this one yet. My car is at the cage builder and when it comes back I will probably have one maybe two weeks to finish up a few last things to get it comp legal before comp school. (Wont race CMC that weekend but still need to get logbook issued)

How do I remove or disable the steering lock on a 96 Mustang? Pictures or a link would be hepful. I cant find any useful info on this and my steering lock is still operational. Want to get this done but dont wanna f the car up right before comp school. Thanks as always.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Removing the steering wheel lock on a 96 mustang is a real pain in the ars. I did it many years ago and wanted to kill myself. A year later during the first enduro the column gave out and at the end of the race I could move the wheel about 5 inches in any direction. I would advise trashing the whole steering column and installing a solid race type set-up. It takes a little fabrication but is a ton easier than messing with the stock unit and in the end you have something that is solid and trouble free. Take a look at my set-up or any of the other guys at TWS. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132
    Removing the steering wheel lock on a 96 mustang is a real pain in the ars. I did it many years ago and wanted to kill myself. A year later during the first enduro the column gave out and at the end of the race I could move the wheel about 5 inches in any direction. I would advise trashing the whole steering column and installing a solid race type set-up. It takes a little fabrication but is a ton easier than messing with the stock unit and in the end you have something that is solid and trouble free. Take a look at my set-up or any of the other guys at TWS. FMR
    Not CMC legal.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Jeremy Gunter's Avatar
    on the 99-04s there is a white plastic lever on the ignition somewhere, I can't remember where exactly. You just need to remove this lever and spring. I know yours is a 96-98 and could be different. Hope that helps!
    Mosty Brothers' Racing
    #22 CMC2
    I have groupies...

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    This?
    [/img]
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Grass-Passer jeremiahkellam's Avatar
    Nah, Jeremy is refering to the plastic slide the ignition switch fits into.
    2010 CMC2 National Champion
    2010 Texas CMC2 Champion
    2010 Summer Shootout Champion - CMC2
    Call it what you want... But that sounds like a Triple Crown to me!!
    http://www.gagemotorsports.com