Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something to chew on

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Something to chew on

From where I sat, I noticed a couple things during the inverts.

Unlike the tire races where the Trophy Girls distance themselves from the mid-pack slackers who get a few cars on the lesser speedos, the inverts seem to have everyone hitting the same point at the same time.

One person legitamately checks up because some one might get out of shape or make a questionable move, then the domino effect takes over, collecting 1/4 the field or more. The initiating driver hasn't a clue what occurred because he's sped off into the distance.

When CMC was 8-10 cars and they were all going for the same apex at T1, it was manageable to a point. But now we have 20 cars going for that same point and there just isn't enough real estate to handle that many cars

And lets be honest ... no one is going to just hang back and have a reasonable expectation that they won't be involved. Right Michael?

So my question to chew on is at what point do inverts become dangerous? I had Nick's driver's net in my windshield and no place to go.

Remember a few years ago when the whole field was inverted (CMC and AI) and there came a point in time where the carnage was over-shadowing the learning benefit? The decision was made to split the fields to reduce risk.

Will it take some one getting seriously hurt to rethink inverts altogether?

Just exactly what learning in taking place if we go six wide into T1? Everyone just holds their line and watches down the track for brake lights.

I'm not saying this just because my car got beat up pretty good this weekend. As a matter of fact, the damage that occurred during the invert was pretty easily repaired.

What I didn't like was seeing another driver's door at the end of my bumper.

And 'Because we've always had inverts' isn't a valid reason to keep them. 'We always had a max 230 RWHP' and there was a reason to evolve.
    Last edited by mitchntx; 05-01-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Let me be abundantly clear ... I don't think any one was at fault nor do I hold any ill will towards any one ... especially you Michael. You did absolutely everything reasonable you could do to avoid.

Member Rookie
    Not that my opinion counts as I have not made it back into a race car yet. However the three years I was racing CMC I really enjoyed the inverted starts. The most fun i have ever had was a inverted start with AI/CMC/Spec 944/Miata. Turn one at pueblo was complete chaos and the only contact in that race was a GTS car, a Miata and Raybob and Tommy bumping.

kyle
    1984 mustang. getting back into CMC.
    Looking for another Fox Saleen

A new set of eyes always helps perspective.

How many cars were in the field?

Member Rookie
    Maybe 40 total. 3-4 Ai cars, 7 CMC cars, 10 or so Spec 944s, 10 or so spec Miatas with the rest being GTS and PT.

Mitch I know you have been to Pueblo. By the time the we hit turn 1 the Miatas and 944s where behind us. Entering turn one was AI/CMC and GTS cars. But then turn one is wide enough for 3 cars coming in but not going out.

So the whole field is inverted ... AI in back and SPEC944 in front?

It's at least 3/8 of a mile before the little kink and then another 1/8 or so before it begins to narrow.

The difference, as I see it, almost the whole field in within a couple few seconds of each other. So it's one large lump of cars funneling in.

The title says chew on it ... not abolish it. I'm just wondering if any one sees any potential.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Mitch - I think your comments have merit and are definitely worth discussion. Thanks for posting this. I would hate to see inverts go away altogether though. What if we did something like this:

2-10 cars in class - invert whole class
    11+ cars in class - invert top 5, top 10, or top ~50% of class

Not sure how this would play out in practice but in theory it might give the mid-packers a different experience i.e. when you invert the whole field front to back, mid-packers are still mid-packers. It also might help with the speed / line / experience differential involved with some of what you're talking about.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    FWIW, I love the inverts! It allows us to mix it up with drivers we wouldn't normally be around. The front runners get a chance to work around ALOT of traffic and others can try their hand at defending... neither of which is guaranteed during the normal grid-based starts. I've learned alot about when and where to pass by getting passed during inverts. With that said, I can see the need for this discussion. Inverts are inevitably more dangerous than standard starts.

and Mitch, you need to change your 'Location'
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Member Rookie
    Correct Mitch. It was fun and only my 3rd race weekend.

Member Rookie
    If I remember correctly Powell and Mcombe where pushing the inverted starts as 3/4 of the CMC field back then had bit "Rs" on the cars. Including me.

kyle