Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hallett - OMG

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a weekend. Hallett hates Team Jordan. We still love the place but have never (in three years) made it through a weekend without problems. Jay put me in fifth for R1 and I finished third. Helped that Michael and James broke. I got a great start and other than a love tap on Rock going into Bus Stop the race was drama free as fourth was way back. When you are a mid pack slacker third on a non invert is about as good as it gets! Jay and I thought we had a real chance to podium in R4 but ended up only finishing one race. In R2 the axle tube welds broke from the center section and Jay heard a loud noise and came in. I did not see the welds broken but did see the metal fuel vapor line broken from it's mount and moved against the drive shaft so I tied it back and assumed we were good to go. In R3 I started first (invert) and was really confident I could win my first race (with all the traffic the fast guys would have to go through) but we had not fixed the problem and as soon as I turned right I heard the drive shaft hitting and the car tried to snap spin. We took the car down to the shop and they welded it all up. Assumed our issues were over but Jay had to start at the back and about 30-35 minutes in we started getting fuel starvation so we loaded up for the 8 hour drive home. Sad thing is our lap times before we broke were good enough to at least compete with everyone except James who was on another planet.

JJ

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Jerry, I think you and I need to find a different place to park next year. The last two years haven't been kind to either of us.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Another great Hallett weekend. Rented a big RV and brought the wife. She had a great time. Had a leak in one of the hard lines on the steering rack on friday. Fortunately had a spare rack, so replacing the cracked tube was an easy fix. Race 1: Spun in the bus stop lap 2. Race 2: Spun in the bus stop lap 2. Kill switch failed and ran the battery down so engine went into limp mode (just like the driver) at the end and could not catch the wounded #67. Race 3: Spun in the bus stop lap 2. I apologize to all for the spins, esp. Cody, and thank all for some excellent driving in avoiding any related contact. Dispite the poor driving, managed to finish 3rd in the first 3 races. Race 4: 15 min before race - car would not turn over. Thanks to Brian and Wayne for pushing the car back and forth and somehow willing it to start. I suspect a starter or starter wire problem. Did not spin in the bus stop. Happy. Spent a very relaxing sunday night at the track and drove home on monday. Look forward to next year. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One thing that blows me away is the talent in Texas. I was so proud of finishing third and having 1:29 lap times, and running with the big boys up front......then I thought about all the fast guys not at the track. If Michael and James do not break my third becomes a fifth. Then if you add in JW, RL, GL (if he does not spin in the Bitch) JK, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more a top ten if everyone shows up is going to be a win to a mid packer like team Jordan (that goes for you also BL).

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Jerry, I think you and I need to find a different place to park next year. The last two years haven't been kind to either of us.
    I mentioned this to someone this weekend that I thought Hallett hated me with all the problems it has given me. Last year a busted badly rear-end, this year broken brake line and mangled sparkplug wire. I have also in the past had powersteering issues.

This track is killer.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've always wanted to walk Hallett after the track goes cold. I figured if I did, when I got to the Bitch, I'ed trip and fall......

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    One thing that blows me away is the talent in Texas. I was so proud of finishing third and having 1:29 lap times, and running with the big boys up front......then I thought about all the fast guys not at the track. If Michael and James do not break my third becomes a fifth. Then if you add in JW, RL, GL (if he does not spin in the Bitch) JK, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more a top ten if everyone shows up is going to be a win to a mid packer like team Jordan (that goes for you also BL).

JJ
    JJ, you are just getting a whiff of what it smells like to be a trophy girl. let me know sometime.

Just wanted to thank everyone for a great time...minus the humidity. This was my first time at the track.

I especially want to thank Jason love and his dad as well as Brad Densmore and Dave Sealander...all CMC1 friends and direct competitors. I had a bolt puncture a hole in my differential cover after race 3. Jasons dad immediately got the car in the air and started removing the rear diff cover in hopes of getting me out for the championship race. I was able to get the diff cover over to the shop on track (sure is nice to have once of these!) to get the hole welded up and purchase a few quarts of gear oil. Jasons dad also noticed EVERY bolt in the axle was finger loose! Dave S torqued the bolts, put the cover back on and filled the diff.

Car wouldnt start so a quick charge was in order (we just replaced our cutoff switch a week prior). I was able to at least get on track for the parade lap and cross the start finish before getting off track and the quickest exit. Not knowing the extent of the damage I didnt want to potentially scatter parts, fluid and who else knows what, jeopardizing the thunder groups race time by having to clean up the track. Good thing I did cause once I got the car on the trailer there was another modest leak from the front of the diff...not to mention whether or not the car would die on track if it wasnt charging.

Congrats to all the participants and the podium finishers...I have video and vivid memories (from the back of the pack) of us all running together (some on track and some off) heading into turns1 and 2...wow it was crazy!

See you next year.

Dave
    Team Incidental Contact #8 CMC1

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Amazing Hallett weekend! While only my 2nd Summer shootout and 1st time driving the track, I'm hooked on the weekend. Great to see old friends and new friends and especially such a huge field of 30+ AI-CMC friends!!!

Here's to 30+ car fields from now on!!!

-=- Todd
    American Iron Series - National Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I've always wanted to walk Hallett after the track goes cold. I figured if I did, when I got to the Bitch, I'ed trip and fall......
    That's funny as heck.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.