Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallett - OMG

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Hallett - OMG

What a weekend.

Racing was awesome and I am beat.

Lots of mechanical issues, some of which resulted in some body damage as well.

Trans missions, rear ends, motors, fuel pumps, brake lines, power steering lines, radiator hoses ... carnage was unbelievable.

But all that said ... just a couple racers were done. Folks pitched in and helped where they could.

I finshed a 5th, 9th and 2nd ... gridded 5th for the big race and finished 5th after racing Steve as hard as I have ever raced, just squeaking by with a couple laps remaining and he and Cody Powell were all over my bumper coming out of the last turn.

And Amazing time.

Connie sends her love and well wishes to those who didn't make it. And she wants NASA-Texas on the schedule twice next year.

I have a LOT of race footage to sift through. Will post something ASAP.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Crazy weekend!!!
    I found out I had a blown front strut on Friday and a huge thanks to the Love's who brought a pair of Tokico's for me to put on the car Saturday morning!!
    I qual'd 2nd behind the REDICULOUS time of 1:27.7 from Sir Proctor for R1. I got a great launch to take the lead and was able to navigate some AI traffic in the perfect spots. After a few laps I look back and suprisingly have about a 5 second lead. Things are looking great until heading up the hill to T4 the motor goes BANG and I do a perfect "Spy Hunter" smoke screen and oil slick. I pull off at the corner station at the top of the hill only to see Corn who is giving me shit for blowing up my motor. Corn had me cracking up from one-liners while watching the blood drain out from the motor. Thanks for easing the tension.

I also want to thank Jeremy, Mitch, and Boudy for offering to loan me their cars so I could stay in the points chase. On Sunday Boudy let me know he wasn't running that day and graciously insisted I run his car. I started from the back and had an absolute blast battling it out with James, Raybob, Morgan, etc.
    I started the final race but only made it about 10 minutes as the water temp was creeping pretty high so I took an early exit and got to watch the last 1/2 of the race. Thanks again Boudy for giving me the opportunity to race, it was a blast!!!

I have an old long block that I'll tear into this week and have it ready to go for TWS in August. I'm also going to get pictures of the damage to the current motor and host them after teardown. It is pretty crazy to reach down and grab the crank pulley and move the front portion of the crank up and down.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    MM, are you running an SFI Balancer? If not, you should, sounds like the old stock balancer breaking the crank trick.

DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    It was a feast or famine weekend for me...but luckily the feast was awesome.

Qualified for the pole for R1...car was good. I had a bad start and was looking at the rear of 5 freaking CMC2 cars by turn 2. Didn't matter though...headed into the bus stop on the second lap I lost the brakes and headed for the grassy knoll. There was waiving caution flag at the stand and that probably helped me... It made me check my brakes earlier than normal and I realized real quick I was not going to be able to stop, so I pitched in the grass and did a couple of spins. Finished dead last.

Easy fix though... broken flair coming out of the master cylinder. Huge thanks to Sam for re-flaring it for me and thanks to Ole' English for helping bleed the brakes in time to make R2.

R2...since it was an invert I started up front. I had to battle a couple of AI cars, but got a little separation from Cody Powell and others to win.

R3... start at the rear.... Got a good start and passed a few cars by turn 2, but somewere during lap one a spark plug wire came off the opti and got mangled in the belt. I still managed an 11th place on 7 cylinders. Muchos Gracias to Mr. Francis for loaning me a spark plug wire to make the big race.

R4... All points added up I started 9th. I got a good start and was able to get by a few cars by turn 2 and then proceeded to battle with Cody, Sam, Mitch, Steve, Dan and Jeremy. Most everyone was gracious enough to make a mistake and let me pass. My car was very hot in traffic, but once I took the lead I started short shifting to let it cool and try to maintain some distance on Jeremy... who wouldn't back off any.

Thanks to all those that help push my car through tech... I left the fans running without the engine running and ran the battery down.
    Thanks to Mitch for giving me a place to sleep.

And most of all Thanks to Everyone for all the congratulations and kind words. It was a very tough race and I feel very fortunate to have been lucky enough to win it.

Senior Member Rookie Cody Powell's Avatar
    ^^I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm scum^^ Mr. Proctor you are stupid fast! Well deserved victory my friend!
    Wow what amazing racing, I think I raced and battled with almost every CMC2 car at some point, unreal! If you have never raced from the back of a 18 car field with those pro texas racers you are missing out, some of the best racing anywhere I guarantee it.
    Mitch, Morgan, Boudy, Steve(last lap pass Haha), Ken, Greg, Randy you guys are amazing clean close racers my hat is off to you WOW
    I think I would have passed Mitch at least once this weekend but I kept hitting his toe in the sand
    Worst moment of the weekend.....coming up to my second to last place grid to see that stupid Mosty guy in Boudys car, talk about pressure, Proctor and Mosty behind you sheesh!
    Thanks again to all my Texas friends, you guys are the best!

BTW thanks Al and Todd for a wicked tough format, it made Proctors victory all that more impressive!
    Last edited by Cody Powell; 06-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    Just hangin' with the dudes from Texas.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    Racing is something that cant be done by ones self. Theres no I in racing, ok, so there is an I , but theres no me.

There is a me in team.......

It was good to be back and meet some new folks and see some old ones. Car and driver both need to get better but I enjoyed being back.

It was a monstrous thrash to get the car ready for Hallett & now there are more repairs to be made. Ugh.

I had a lot of help getting ready as well as at the track.

Tip- make sure your headers actually have nuts on the studs going into the h pipe or you might melt clutch cable, motor mounts, and a bunch of other stuff.

Big thanks to

My wife Sharon
    Jeff Brooks
    Proctor & Morgan
    Marshall & Michael Mosty
    Jim Dulaney
    Scott & John from Hallett
    my friend Sid who was up there with us
    Richard & Michael Painter

And anyone I missed

Good times.
    AI # 12

Gotta start with the props.
    First, Eddie for taking the last AI podium spot in the big race! Congrats my friend - you fought a heck of a race and deserve it!
    Second, Jim D for keeping his nose in there and stealing 4th from me on the last turn. Its never over 'til its over!
    Congrats to Frank for taking 2nd and Chris for overall win!
    Next, JP for an amazing track record and the win!
    Casey for his first series win this weekend AND winning the challenge race! Great job man!!
    Great job by DF using his car ALL UP to get a podium spot and JLo for taking the CMC win and to our race port mate Brad for his podium finish!

Without a doubt the best racing ever for me. I came up Thursday with Eddie and Sam so I got to get my bearings properly with a good chunk of time on Friday and put last year behind me. By the time R1 rolled around I was already comfortable enough to go full throttle into the Bitch and then started working on the inside pass. R2 was just trying to stay in the race and not do anything stupid and it was a blast.

Saturday night I was watching the in-car of Michael's amazing run before the engine went silent...came away with several things I was doing wrong and how to correct them.

I decided to experiment for R3 and ran the NT01s on the front and the RA1s on the rear (actually I was just too lazy to change the fronts out after working on the rear brakes that morning ). Not sure whether it was different grip levels or I just got the tire pressure all wrong, but the car was crazy loose...but FUN! Hopefully someone got at least one of my pro-style 4 wheel power drifts through T1.. I got a couple semi-impressive drifts in and then finally did it perfect and took it all the way with my right rear tire clipping the track out curbing
    Suffered through what seemed to be fuel pickup issue - lost power many times on right handers - got a month+ to figure it out.

For R4 it was all business. Loaded the car up with as much fuel as it would handle - not like I need the weight, but the car was pretty thirsty all weekend and with the pickup issue I thought it best.
    Started in 4th with Frank on my left and Chris in front of me. I've been getting great launches on standing starts so the plan was to just stay tucked in with Frank and Chris and then try and hold off Eddie, Shawn, Jim and Casey through T1 and then see how thing sorted.
    I got a great launch and suddenly there was Chris' rear wing looking like it was sitting on my hood! Crap...now what? I drafted on Chris for a what seemed like an eternity before I decided to pull out and try and go around on the outside. I clearly had decided too late...Chris was up to speed but I put up a valiant effort racing beside him with two wheels off. Bailed out at the turn and pretty much got jumped by every car within 3 car lengths.
    OK. Plan B. Slotted into position, cleaned off the tires and just tried to put down some good laps, while letting pairs of CMC2 cars through as the race went on.
    At some point the race came to me and I found myself battling with Jim and having to fend him off for a good chunk of the race. Then we caught up to Eddie who was having to deal with a long brake and some pesky CMC2 cars himself.

Then it was nose-to-tail with Eddie and Jim for the last half of the race!!!
    Eddie knew I'd perfected the inside pass at the Bitch so he took it away every time so I tried to set up a few other spots over a couple laps. I can't say for sure, but I think we exchanged positions at least 3 times.
    Finally, I got the jump on Eddie and got into a rhythm to finish off the race...which fell apart completely at the Bitch on the last lap when I flubbed a 2-3 shift with Eddie right on me. He got by without a problem and now I was back to battling for 4th with Jim towards the last turn. On the last turn I went in too far and Jim took the pass on the inside for the position - great patience on Jim's part! Crap! 3rd to 5th in the last two turns. Still, WAY better than watching the race from on top of the tire wall

Finally, thanks for Dr. Frank for the use of the trailer, water, fuel funnel and everything else I borrowed.
    Fantastic to finally meet your wife...great lady and I'm glad she had a good time!
    Thanks to my race port mates for all the sharing and conversation...makes the weekend even better when you have such great guys to hang around with.
    Thanks to Jerry for the towel and the chat, Brad for the gloves and the comedy and Marshall for the brake tool so I didn't have to bust my knuckles (much).
    Thanks to Mitch for the T6 advice. I always listen...just takes me a while to execute
    Last edited by BlueFirePony; 06-13-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Still learning my days of the week; more thanks

Greg Hampton here: #36 Blue Mustang from Des Moines, Iowa (MW region).

Scheduled plastic surgery to get the smile off my face. R1 was my 4th and final needed for my provisional. Got my book signed off and will get my rookie license. Can't imagine that happening at a better event and with a better gang to be hangin and racing with.

Thanks to Dave Balingit and Ken Rockwell for the help with the brakes maintenance before R1.

Fried a RF hub end of R3: Thanks to Richard for the spare (especially when his car was broke and getting me out there even when he couldn't), Dan for the gas (I was using the pump there and it dried up right before R4), and to Wade and his wife (also a broke car but stuck around Sunday to watch and help) for filling me up while I suited up, etc .. All just in time to make grid. Look forward to returning the favors / help when I can.

I blew a clutch half way through R4, crunched it into 3rd and was able to finish. Wouldn't even have made it out there without all the help.

Words don't seem to do it justice, but many thanks to all and more fun that I'm pretty sure I've ever had. Great meeting all of you and racing with you.

Can't wait to do it again.

btw: Cool suit fundrasier started for Cody and I so we don't have to explain why we have panty hose in our possession.

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar

4 corners

what a grinder of a weekend. Lots went on but 1st off I want to point out what a classy guy Ol' English is. After smashing up his left rear quarter, starting in on his left front, and taking care of both my rear quarters he was all too gracious. He even helped me bleed the brakes on my car for the repair following the incident. I felt quite dejected after that as I never want to be the assignable cause for damage to someone else's ride.

Thanks, Randy.

I got a good look at all the other CMC cars... as they burned by me all weekend. I feel like I've been held back a grade while all my old buds moved on to the next class!

Looking forward to the next CMC weekend [in cooler weather].
    Last edited by y5e06; 06-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Dust Collector

Member Rookie
    Has fun as usual. Working tech and being around the race cars is better than a poke to the eye with a sharp stick. Cant wait to get back into a car and start racing with you guys.

Good seing the RM boys. Powell and Coleman still crack me up every time.

later

kyle
    1984 mustang. getting back into CMC.
    Looking for another Fox Saleen