Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Aug 2011 TWS media and chatter.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Aug 2011 TWS media and chatter.

Post up those vid's and photo's folks!

I had a great weekend. Had some pretty hoe hum racing since I had nothing for JP and M&M. Had a good battle w/ Mulder who ended up taking 2nd in R3 (I think). My race of the weekend didn't come 'til R4 w/ M&M passing me for the lead, which I had for all but lap 1, on the last lap going into T10. I stuck on his ass 'til T2 where he entered a little wide and I snuck under him and beat him to the finish line. My new car is getting better. Small swaybar change for R2 helped alot. I just didn't have the tires to run w/ JP, M&M, and we can now add Mulder to the list. Mulder now has to turn-in his mid-pack slacker member card. He ran his first 59 this weekend in Q2 and then backed it up in R3 w/ a 58. Not a bad weekend for Steve.
    I think I had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th for the weekend - not in that order.
    I was pleased w/ the turn-out. We had 13 or so CMC2 cars and 4 or so AI cars. NASA TX once again set a car count record for the Aug event. The NASA TX provided dinner Sat night was very good, as was the free beer. I'm still a little dirty feeling after seeing AL, Todd, Dave and 2-3 other guys all in a 12' above ground pool over in TWS's new camping area. I heard a rumor that the track owner was inthe timing tower and looked down and said "Is..... is that a swimming pool down there?"
    Car contact was almost non-existant. 2 cars made light contact that resulted in no damage and a small rub mark onthe door/quarter. Other than that is was a good clean weekend. No DQ's, no blown yellows (and we had a few). Our group was praised durring the corner worker meeting Sun morning for putting on a great show.
    Lets carry this thru to ECR and finish w/ a bang .....no .... um... uuhh... a large field.

Senior Member Rookie
    Randy, Wayne, Jason and John made this event a blast for me! Through all the races we were running pretty close together swapping positions and running toe to toe. It was a huge amount of fun.

The highlight was seeing Randy in my rearview on the last lap of one of the races, come through turn 3 and track out wide in to the dirt and pull his Dukes of Hazzard impression, then come back on while not losing a single position!
    Nick Valentin

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Big fun..clean racing... and not as hot as I had expected. Still hot, but it was survivable.

Steve raced his butt off... I had nothing for him in R4.

If my video worked...I post later this week.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also - thanks to all you guys who made my father-in-law feel welcome. He had a great time for his first roadraicng event ever. He had lots of good things to say about you guys.
    The heat didn't bother him one bit. It is well over 110 in Yuma where he lives and being here in Ft Worth all week w/ 105-110 temps, he was loving the 102-103 temps we had Sat/Sun.

Anyways, thanks again.

Smile

Mulder definitely has turned in his "mid pack slacker" id card and picked up his "trophy queen" tiara. Not only was he posting the same times as the podium guys, he scored a 2nd, a 3rd, and two 4ths while dicing it door to door with the likes of Proctor, Mosty, and Landrum!! Congrats Steve, awesome driving.

Another guy that's in danger of picking up his tiara is Gary Robertson. Gary landed P4 in qual and finished 3rd that session. Nice job Gary!!

Thanks to a nice schedule I was able to watch all four races from between the caroussel and turn 3. That is a great spot. There were tremendous races going on: Frank and Bryan were nose to tail for AI all the time, English, J-Lo, Stehle, Valentin, and Zimmer were almost always locked on a five way battle, and of course the fights at the front of CMC were insane. In R4 the lead changed twice on the last lap!! You guys should hear the radio chatter when that is going on because during the last lap each station calls the session leader's position...it was awesome.

15 cars might not be an attendance record overall, but it is great for this August burner. More importantly, fifteen cars over four races and two qual sessions and only one case of side to side/no damage/no position loss contact is fantastic. I saw a LOT of very clean side by side racing with drivers giving each other the room to make it fun and safe. Congrats to all of you.

Now...how about NASA Tx bringing out ice cream? Talk about perfect after the super hot day. And you can call it dirty, but that pool kicked ass!!
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I heard a rumor that the track owner was inthe timing tower and looked down and said "Is..... is that a swimming pool down there?"
    "Is... is... OH MY GOSH! IS THAT MORE THAN 2 FIVE GALLON FUEL CANS SITTING NEXT TO EACH OTHER????!!!???"

Fixed it for ya. Yeah the owner "introduced" himself to M&M Saturday morning. At first I thought he was dropping the "we have fuel here, no need to bring so much" angle but it could be a legitimate case of "let's not burn down the entire garage in one fire" concern.
    And if you've ever wondered about the difference between a steel and bronze distributor gear, ask Michael for pictures of the one he took out on Saturday.

And not racing, even in 100+ temps, sucked. Glad you guys still let me hang out.

#39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Well sunday had a disappointing end when after R3 there was a steady stream of oil coming from a newly developed hole in the oil pan but overall I had a good weekend. Last year to this year I was 3-5 seconds off my pace but the racing back there was a blast. Its frustrating not having the power to make moves stick most of the time but I stayed up with Old English, Nick and all those guys enough to keep them honest. I wanna say thanks to Sam Crumpacker for letting me run his camera on Saturday, he showed up just a little late Sunday morning. But as usual it was fun, clean racing. The pool was an awesome way to cool down satuday night, the food was good, the beer was cold, the racing was close, and the people were...well alright I guess. ..Couldn't ask for anything more from a race weekend.
    Jason Love
    Love in it Racing
    "Sometimes its better to be lucky than good."
    2010 CMC Champion

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by NickV View Post
    Randy, Wayne, Jason and John made this event a blast for me! Through all the races we were running pretty close together swapping positions and running toe to toe. It was a huge amount of fun.
    Absolutely!! I think I spent half of the Sunday races sideways trying to catch, pass, and occasionally stay ahead of those guys. Well, when I wasn't going off backwards into the dirt when the rarefied air of P5 got to me during the first lap of R1 on Sunday!

There are the trophy girls and mid-pack slackers, we need a nickname too. Paging Bryan Leinart ... would BL please come to the courtesy phone ...
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Pictures from the track dude who takes pictures at the track.
    http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/NASATXTWS8-2011/Thunder

I like this series, over the jump going to T3 where the cars get a bit light.
    http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/NASATXT...602564_Fdk2vtt
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby