Thread: Summer projects

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar

Summer projects

Forum has been a little slow lately so thought I'd post some progress pics of the AIX to AI conversion that's been draining every ounce of sweat out of my body....

Bilstein coilovers (courtesy of Mindy's track car - "Deliverator"), rebuilt lower control arms, Global West uppers...car might actually turn now and stop eating the sidewalls:

StopTechs (also courtesy of Mindy & Deliverator...I'm officially in the red on marriage credits now:

New valve springs:

Restrictor plates - hopefully one of these will get me AI legal without major tuning issues...shooting for 3350lbs / 350hp. Dyno day coming soon...witnesses welcome:

Complete power distribution redesign & re-wire to fix the bujeezus out of the fuel pump issues I had at Hallett:

HUGE thanks to Mindy for not only sacrificing the trick parts off her new ride but also correctly installing all the driver side stuff while I screwed around with the other side. Simply amazing. I must have suffered terribly in a past life or something.... Hey, I did replace it all with AIX championship winning parts. Oddly that didn't seem to make a dent in my marriage credit deficit though....

Bunch more little stuff to do but it's coming along nicely...can't wait for ECR!
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Rookie
    Casey,

You're making awesome progress. Glad to see its coming along so quickly. Also, you just got an awesome deal on that car, especially given all those stellar parts you've been able to "borrow."

And, given how well your car will be dialed in, I'm definitely sensing a royal butt whooping at ECR!
    David Neary
    Orange #23 AI Mustang
    2010 Texas Region AI Rookie of the Year

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    You're going to really like the StopTech's. The only downside is you'll have to relearn the braking points at all the tracks you've been to. I've had a set on my car this whole season, and I still haven't made "full" use of them, IMO.

It's nice to go for the pedal, and get the same exact performance time, after time, after time.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg View Post
    It's nice to go for the pedal, and get the same exact performance time, after time, after time.
    \
    Until your Master Cylinder develops an internal leak... Then it's like you are back on PBR's and street pads (very long pedal)...

I thought I was just overusing the brakes at TWS and Hallett, but after putting the new MC on, it firmed right up!

StopTech's are the bomb. I just stocked my spare pad basket so I don't have to worry about pads for the next 2 seasons.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    \
    Until your Master Cylinder develops an internal leak... Then it's like you are back on PBR's and street pads (very long pedal)...

I thought I was just overusing the brakes at TWS and Hallett, but after putting the new MC on, it firmed right up!

StopTech's are the bomb. I just stocked my spare pad basket so I don't have to worry about pads for the next 2 seasons.
    How much life do you get out of your pads Marshall?
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    How much life do you get out of your pads Marshall?
    Approx 4-5 weekends, depending on the track. Hallett and ECR (I'm told) is more abrasive on pads. However, I hammer them pretty hard wherever I use them...

For reference, I was getting 3 track days out of a set of PBR caliper type pads.

PBR Setup
    Lifespan: 3 days
    $165/set ($55/day)
    $660/season

StopTech Setup
    Lifespan: 9 days
    $285/set ($32/day)
    $384

Savings over 6 weekends a year = $276.

The savings doesn't even consider the better feel of the brakes (think a knob with 1-10 in "1" incriments for the StopTech versus 1-3 in "1" incriments for PBR), and the peace of mind knowing they will be the same corner after corner. Also, it has proved difficult to find the limit of the brakes (Even with ABS).
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    \
    Until your Master Cylinder develops an internal leak... Then it's like you are back on PBR's and street pads (very long pedal)....
    Ya know, after 8 seasons of racing on the PBR setup, the ONLY time I ever had a long pedal was at Hallett when I ran out of ATE Super Blue brake fluid, and used the Ford Motorsport stuff. Damn pedal went almost to the floor after just a few laps, forcing me to take it easy.

Once I flushed the entire system, going back to ATE, I never had another problem. It's the only brake fluid I'll use in my car. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg View Post
    Ya know, after 8 seasons of racing on the PBR setup, the ONLY time I ever had a long pedal was at Hallett when I ran out of ATE Super Blue brake fluid, and used the Ford Motorsport stuff. Damn pedal went almost to the floor after just a few laps, forcing me to take it easy.

Once I flushed the entire system, going back to ATE, I never had another problem. It's the only brake fluid I'll use in my car. Period.
    I switch between ATE Blue and Amber every other round. Flush a quart through the system and call it a day...
    Marshall Mosty