Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer projects

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I started my DE "career" with ATE but found myself bleeding it once a day, sometimes more. Heavy high-hp car with a green driver...a better driver in a lighter car certainly would have had a different experience. In any case, I switched to SRF which was rock solid but got too expensive as often as I was cracking the lines for one reason or another. I've been running the Wilwood 600 EXP this season and it's been great. It needed a quick bleed Saturday night at Cresson and one more at Hallett but for the price ($18), I'm happy with the performance.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    had some bad experiences with Willwood fluid (the 5XX and 6XX) - won't put that it any car I drive....

if you boil SRF you'll boil anything - that's why its so expensive but damn it works. If you want to rule out fluid as the problem in your system look no further.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    had some bad experiences with Willwood fluid (the 5XX and 6XX) - won't put that it any car I drive....
    I have been running it for 10+ years and never a brake fluid issue. This stuff is awesome.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Interesting that we've all had different experiences with the same fluids.

I also saw the GRM article.....wouldn't put a set of Cobalt pads in my car again if they were given to me. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I have been running it for 10+ years and never a brake fluid issue. This stuff is awesome.
    if it works for you and you're happy go for it. Almost cost us a top-5 and 1st in class durning One Lap of America the year I did it. Shrug.
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

if you boil SRF you'll boil anything - that's why its so expensive but damn it works. If you want to rule out fluid as the problem in your system look no further.
    If you aren't boiling brake fluid...you aren't braking late enough.

Ed, check your rear axle end play. It is likely causing more rear brake problems than brake fade. Found that to be the problem on both the mustang and the camaro.....especially the camaro. rear brakes on the mustangs don't do much of anything. If you are fading them, check for a sticking caliper.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoz27 View Post
    ...rear brakes on the mustangs don't do much of anything. If you are fading them, check for a sticking caliper.
    That's the damn truth. I've been on the same set of XP8's in the back for the last 5 years...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    That's the damn truth. I've been on the same set of XP8's in the back for the last 5 years...
    Then you should have already gone to a more aggressive pad and used more rear brake...Don't mistake being able to trail brake a mustang for not having ANY rear brake working in your favor!

Quote Originally Posted by rpoz27 View Post
    If you aren't boiling brake fluid...you aren't braking late enough.
    1.) not enough hp to get good terminal velocity
    2.) not enough weight to really put TONS of heat into the brakes like you guys
    3.) brakes are sized too large when considering #1 & #2
    4.) I get lockup first anyway

But I could see that being the case for your guys' kinds of cars - lots of horsepower, lots of weight.

...that being the case for your guys' kinds of cars - lots of horsepower, lots of weight.
    I resemble the second but not the first. But I got an extra helping of the second