Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Summer projects

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoz27 View Post
    If you aren't boiling brake fluid...you aren't braking late enough.

Ed, check your rear axle end play. It is likely causing more rear brake problems than brake fade. Found that to be the problem on both the mustang and the camaro.....especially the camaro. rear brakes on the mustangs don't do much of anything. If you are fading them, check for a sticking caliper.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Back before I knew anything, I figured ALL the brakes needed to be upgraded so I put 13" Baer brakes with slotted, cross drilled rotors on the back and I don't have a proportioning valve either, so I figure they are working a little harder than the average mustang brakes.

I go through 3-4 sets of rear pads for every set of fronts.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Quote Originally Posted by edrock96GT View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Back before I knew anything, I figured ALL the brakes needed to be upgraded so I put 13" Baer brakes with slotted, cross drilled rotors on the back and I don't have a proportioning valve either, so I figure they are working a little harder than the average mustang brakes.

I go through 3-4 sets of rear pads for every set of fronts.
    Wow. Definately a lot of rear brake Eddie! Misty's suggestion about the sticking caliper definately a good one. I need to check my rears as well as they "disappeared" on me during the last race...I think that had a little to do with my spin at the end (over-aggressiveness was most of it though - but hey...last race, last lap, and 2nd to last turn...all or nothing right ? ). There is ZERO pad material left back there on both sides and I started Sunday with just about an 1/8 of a normal pad - usually that lasts a whole weekend.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    ed, change back to the stock rotors. Those eradispeeds eat pads like mad. stock cobra rears are plenty fine. buy the kit from ford that has the brackets and new rotors for under $200. rear pads will last for a season or more.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoz27 View Post
    ed, change back to the stock rotors. Those eradispeeds eat pads like mad. stock cobra rears are plenty fine. buy the kit from ford that has the brackets and new rotors for under $200. rear pads will last for a season or more.
    Agreed, I usually get 1 1/2 - 2 years from a set of rear pads. I also just changed my rear rotors last year after 5 yrs on the previous set.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region