Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone wanna rent or want a driver?

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    Well, I do have a spare on the deck and I do have the video. Any special tools (besides the possible press) needed?
    Mike, if you have an old TV and VCR you can take to the garage that would be the best. I watched the video once then watched it again while working on the Tranny. He took out a couple of bolts, then I took out a couple also. I think I almost wore out the "pause" button on the remote.
    Organization is the key when laying out the old parts. :wink:
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I too put in the vote for the DIY on tranny rebuilds. I bought the Hanlon video and rebuilt the tranny in the AI car when it was being originally put together in 2003. The tranny has survived 8 weekends so far on all used parts (except for new bearings/seals/blocker rings).

The only "hard" part on doing a T-5 is if you can't get out the T-50 bolt in the side of the case that holds the reverse lever, getting it back into the case is a bitch. I struggled for about 30 minutes before it "popped right in".

I will probably pull mine out after MSR-H to do a refresh before '07. The May event (40 minute race) was kinda hard on it. Me missing 3rd several times probably didn't help much either!

$100 rebuilds DIY are better than $800 rebuilds at a shop!
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Marshal, can I borrow that video sometime? I have a T5 in need of a rebuild, and I want to get a feel for whats involved before I do it for real. This'll be for a track spare available to anyone who wants to buy it, but only if their tranny dies at the track.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

I'll rent you my Bitchin' Black Camaro for AIX. It will be very expensive. :twisted:
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    I too put in the vote for the DIY on tranny rebuilds. I bought the Hanlon video and rebuilt the tranny in the AI car when it was being originally put together in 2003. The tranny has survived 8 weekends so far on all used parts (except for new bearings/seals/blocker rings).

The only "hard" part on doing a T-5 is if you can't get out the T-50 bolt in the side of the case that holds the reverse lever, getting it back into the case is a bitch. I struggled for about 30 minutes before it "popped right in".

I will probably pull mine out after MSR-H to do a refresh before '07. The May event (40 minute race) was kinda hard on it. Me missing 3rd several times probably didn't help much either!

I don't remove the T50, I leave the lever and rod in the case, just tap out the roll pin and slide the 5th fork and 5th assembly off as a unit, put back on as a units... too difficult to put the reverse/5th stuff in with the main shaft in place... I called and talked with Hanlon about, that was there trick.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    If I might take this opputunity to install a shameless plug for a sponsor of LAW Motorsports.

Texas Drivetrian and Perofmance has been building transmissions and diffes for as long as I've been in an F-body.

www.texasdrivetrain.com

He is very reasonabley priced and has very quick turnaround.

The gearbox and rear diff in #9 was rebuilt by Jason last year. #8 has a new rear diff by TDP and my street car had both the box and diff redone by Jason.

He works on all makes and versions of the T5 and T56 as well as rear diffs.

He is a one man shop and is best to call ahead to make sure he is there.

Not to continue the "High Jacking" of Corey's thread, but Mitch you did say "All" including C5 Corvettes
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll

Senior Member Grass-Passer macstang's Avatar

Returning hijacked thread back on topic....

Corey,

Wanna run TT in a 347 powered, AI suspended, 93 GT street car?

We may be able to work something out.

Call me at 601 466 4767

I need help with gas money as this years budget is close to spent due to the damn Exxon gas prices (thats you Todd!).

Jerry
    Jerry
    Team Warhorse-Bishop/MacNeil
    CMC Mustang #44
    Red 1993 Mustang TTB # 15

>>>>RETIRED-PENDING OVERSEAS TOUR<<<<

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Yes Kevin and VIper

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Robert,
    Michael lost my last video, but I am pretty sure he replaced it when he worked on his Tremec back in January. I'll dig through the videos tonight. If I can find it, I will send it to TWS with Michael... to hopefully not lose again. :wink:

or, you can drop by the house anytime and pick it up. You'll get to see AI #67 laid out, trembling and scared, on the operating table... I need to put her back together!!
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...