Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wanna rent or want a driver?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    FWIW or FYI, my .80 5th was too big to just install on the MS.
    It had to be pressed on the MS while the MS was in the case.
    Too complicated for me as you need a press with special forks and what not.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    RP told me how to do it... then I purchaced the video from Hanlon Motorpsorts on 'How to rebuild your T-5', I played it side by side and rebuild the tranny... the next time I did it I did not need the video.

the 5th on both the trannys I have done slipped right off... I think RP had to have his pressed off... but I have a press and and some funky tools for pulling it off too.

If you take the tranny to a shop, it really should be a no brainer for them to do the swap, or you could talk RP into doing it for you... he might be a little busy this week (Baby due this week, I think).

If you get up this way and want to drop it off I can do it... but could be a long haul for a 5th swap... (Austin)

David D.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    The videos from Hanlon Motorsports are excellent. I got one for my Tremec and changed out the blocker rings and 3/4 gear and it was a piece of cake.
    Too bad a 5th gear for mine is $500. :evil:
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    The videos from Hanlon Motorsports are excellent. I got one for my Tremec and changed out the blocker rings and 3/4 gear and it was a piece of cake.
    Too bad a 5th gear for mine is $500. :evil:
    sounds like a lot of trouble....my tranny came with a .81 5th and a .65 sixth!! I love this T-56 and it should be pretty reliable at our power levels given 03 cobras are beating on them well into the 550rwhp range. I just dread the cost of a rebuild when it comes time! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by donovan
    RP told me how to do it... then I purchaced the video from Hanlon Motorpsorts on 'How to rebuild your T-5', I played it side by side and rebuild the tranny... the next time I did it I did not need the video.

the 5th on both the trannys I have done slipped right off... I think RP had to have his pressed off... but I have a press and and some funky tools for pulling it off too.

If you take the tranny to a shop, it really should be a no brainer for them to do the swap, or you could talk RP into doing it for you... he might be a little busy this week (Baby due this week, I think).

If you get up this way and want to drop it off I can do it... but could be a long haul for a 5th swap... (Austin)

David D.
    DD,

Many thanks for the offer. I have the Hanlon video but am just too timid to tear into it. I'll drop it off at a shop here in Houston. I was just curious when you mentioned you do your own, I guess someday I'll have to roll up my sleeves and give it a try. I just have made some pretty expensive messes doing it on my own so my default answer these days is to farm it out lol. Thanks again for the offer though!

MB

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by donovan

David D.
    I bought a spare t-5 for Amber's car and I want to rebuild it before intalling it. It has a 4 speed in it now... could I borrow your video??

The video is a borrowed video from a local drag racer... they are $15 at Hanlon Motorsports.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

The best part about Hanlon, you can order just the parts you need. I ordered the 3-4 shift fork, one bearing and shift fork pads... that is all... very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell

DD,

Many thanks for the offer. I have the Hanlon video but am just too timid to tear into it. I'll drop it off at a shop here in Houston. I was just curious when you mentioned you do your own, I guess someday I'll have to roll up my sleeves and give it a try. I just have made some pretty expensive messes doing it on my own so my default answer these days is to farm it out lol. Thanks again for the offer though!

MB
    I was the same way... I was very timid, but once I had a spare, I jumped right in, it was the smartest thing I ever didl. Really, once you do it once you will enjoy it, its kind of fun.

DD

Well, I do have a spare on the deck and I do have the video. Any special tools (besides the possible press) needed?

Just for the fifth, Snap Rings Pliers, Lock Rings Pliers and a Roll Pin Punch (I think its 3/16th) but if you watch the video it tells you the size.