Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to regrease SN95 hubs.

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Here's a picture of the tool Richard P. made. I tried to take out the dust seal from the back of this bearing, but it didn't come out properly. Insert the wedged part of the tool into the inner race of the bearing, make sure not to grab both races. Apply some bending moment to the tool and it should pop out easily. pull all the guts out and the outer race should also pop out easily, sometimes even without the tool. Regrease with your grease of choice!

Attachment 1797
    Hub opening tool. One side is for SN95+ hubs, the other is s197 hubs.

Attachment 1796
    Tighten the wedge bolt.

Attachment 1795
    Dust seal didn't come out properly. I was able to tap this ring back in to cover the dust seal without issue.

I ended up with Timken branded bearings this time around. I wasn't able to get them apart at all, even after using implements of great force. The last set that I did for my S197 were very easy to take apart, so I guess these are different some how. I would not recommend these bearings for CMC. They might have already failed after Hallett, so maybe I'll get to take better pictures soon.

- Josh
    Josh

Do you have a pic of what all comes off so you can clean and repack bearing? Having never seen a bearing exactly like this I'm not sure what all gets removed. With the karts what you showed in the one pic is all you removed to dissemble the whole bearing. Thanks

I think I have a broken one I can take a picture of somewhere. You'll end up with a grease seal, inner race, inner ball bearings and cage, the outter ball bearings and cage, and the outer race.

When you get the inner race out it should look like this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...30891627225766

Then just start pulling the ball bearings out. The whole thing basically falls apart once a few of the balls are out.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Rookie
    Thanks the pics were just what I needed. Now to get some good hi temp grease. Thanks again.