Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor Jack

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Had on of the Torin models I believe from PepBoys that I think is like the lightweight one you get from Harbor or Northern. Seemed to struggle some with the weight and died an early death. Stepped up to the Craftsman aluminum and it didn't last much more than a year either. I have wondered how long the high end 1 pump jacks like in Nascar would last. Have seen some for around $450. As much as its used and if it only takes one pump then its worth considering.
    In the garage I have a heavy iron jack similar to what Al posted. But it won't get under the vette so I just use some ramps to drive on first and then jack it up. So you definitely need one that is pretty low profile.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumpacker View Post
    I have that jack too. I love how light it is, but this is my 2nd one and just recently it started having the same issue my first one had - it slowly lowers down after being jacked up fairly high (above 75% or so). *anyone have a fix for this?? Each one lasted about 2yrs. I'll likely buy the $90 harbor freight next. Believe it or not, they have better reviews than the Craftsman ones.

That being said, Craftsman actually warrantied my first one (even outside of it's 1yr warranty) but warned me it was a 1-time deal. They told me that, as a racer, I use it more than the typical buyer so I fall under 'commercial use' and have zero warranty to begin with.
    Mine is four years old and other than leaking when I throw it in the trunk sometimes it has never given me an issue.

JJ

Member Rookie
    My favorite for a track jack is this: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-68051.html

You have to be weary using it every day though as you can strip the threads out of the pump body by overtightening the handle. I did it once, but I use it more then most people. Low saddle height.

My new favorite garage jack is a AL frame, cast iron pump body 5000lb jack from Autozone. It's light enough to even take to the track, but being cast iron hydraulics, it ought to last better then the AL. I got it for $130 regular price, but I don't see it on the website. I think it was Duralast brand. Also, low saddle height.

I'm on my 5th and 6th AL jacks since '05 and I've used most and these are my favs.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    There is a long thread on C-C about floor jacks. It seems that the secret is to change out the "kerosene" that the Chinese use for hydraulic fluid and replace it with auto trans fluid.

I've had my H-F jack for 6 months and haven't done it yet but it is now on my off season to-do list.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

I have been using the matco "the beast"

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...ON-FLOOR-JACK/

It works great, a little haevy at 105 lbs though.