Thread: Aluminum Wheel Repair-Truck Wheel

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Aluminum Wheel Repair-Truck Wheel

I found a set of wheels for my Suburban I want to buy. Seller told me the wheel was repaired by Wheels America 6 months ago, their weld leaked air that they repaired, now its leaking again and Wheels America says they can't fix it. Apparently its a hairline crack on the inside of the lip that can barely be seen but still leaks air.
    Any thoughts on suggestions if another shop could fix this? I just think that JB Weld on the inside of the wheel would take care of this and fill the crack? I would put this tire on the front and just run it around 55 psi.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    JB Weld (Jeff Burch??) should help seal it. Slightly overfill where the crack is and sand smooth. After smoothing, apply a thin layer of RTV (clear should work fine) over the repair. Fixed two leaks this way, on street wheels, of course...
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Blog Entries
    Thanks Hood. Haven't done the RTV trick. I'm going to look at the wheels tomorrow and think I will take a chance on them as it shouldn't be that much more than the wheels scrap value. I figure a forged 18 x 9 is worth $30 in scrap each. Or I get stuck with 3 good wheels that are discontinued.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Bo Liebbe had a good suggestion about running an inner tube on that wheel.

What kind of safety issue should I think about with a hairline crack in a wheel-Ginsberg's broken wheel comes to mind right now.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Can it not be welded again?

I had a bellhousing with cracks welded back and it never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    Only know that Wheels America said it couldn't be welded again. If a bellhousing breaks you don't end up in a ditch towing a 10k lb trailer.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

A small crack in any wheel is soooo very dangerous. I would trash it and look for another with no cracks. Not worth the possible disaster it could cause.