Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Air Deflector Rule

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

2012 Air Deflector Rule

Section 7.5.4 in the new rules was cleared up considerably with the exception of one small statement, specifically:
    “must be centered at the same front/back location as the OEM deflector +/- 1””

Dan’s car doesn’t have the stock air deflector and hasn’t since he has owned it. Where is the stock air deflector mounted? More specifically, from where to where are the tech officials going to measure to reliably determine the legality of the air deflector? I’m specifically concerned with the 4th gen Camaro but it is a valid question for all platforms.

Additionally, the rule is concerned with the position of the air deflector and not specifically the air deflector mount. These dimensions are both the same if we assume the air deflectors are exactly vertical. What if it isn’t? Or what if the stock air deflector isn’t vertical? Obviously it can’t be horizontal, like a splitter. How much angle is tolerable? Does the entire deflector have to be inside an envelope +/- 1” from the stock deflector?

The deflector on Dan’s car is a semi-rigid plastic backed up with metal angle brackets. The actual angle of the deflector is pretty dependent on what direction the car was traveling when the deflector last contacted something. It bends backwards when he goes off track forward. It bends forward when he pulls it out of the trailer (or goes off track backwards).

Thanks,
    Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The forward facing part of the lower radiator suport has 5 or so threaded holes in it. The OEM deflector mounts there.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I'm already developing a cable and pulley system whereby when I mash the brake pedal, maximum downforce is applied and when I'm off the pedal, it retracts for less wind resistance.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    I'm already developing a cable and pulley system whereby when I mash the brake pedal, maximum downforce is applied and when I'm off the pedal, it retracts for less wind resistance.
    Would that be for your CTS or your F250 cause it doesn't seem likke your Firebird will get any use this year.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    The forward facing part of the lower radiator suport has 5 or so threaded holes in it. The OEM deflector mounts there.
    OK, how does that help? What does it look like? Does the deflector hang down in front of or behind those holes and by how much? Not a lot of room to play with here.

How strong is that area? In my Mustang, the lower radiator support is bent from many impacts. Not enough to affect function but probably enough to alter a +/- 1" measurement...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Obviously it can’t be horizontal, like a splitter. How much angle is tolerable? Does the entire deflector have to be inside an envelope +/- 1” from the stock deflector?

Theres that "s" word again...

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar

Dust Collector

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    I'm going out on a limb here and going to say the FACE of the deflector is all that really matters as far as foward/back location. If it was the mounting point, you'll have someone using the OEM mounting location and coming up with some contraption where the face just happens to line up vertically with the front bumper. I bet the point where it meets the body must be within that 1" of OEM. Maybe it needs to be opened up a bit more to allow +/- 3" to make mounting easier. Angle appears to be open.

Not quite sure what to make of the 'bent from impacts' question. If you had an OEM one on there, then bent the support, I HIGHLY doubt the intent is to DQ you since it's no longer in the exact coordinates as it came from the factory. It's still in the same relative place as it came from the factory, isn't it? Custom deflector would be no different.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    My interpretation is that the piece should be completely vertical (+/- a tolerance %). Any angle forward would not be legal.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    My interpretation is that the piece should be completely vertical (+/- a tolerance %). Any angle forward would not be legal.
    OK, what tolerance? The (I assume) factory one pictured above appears to have a forward angle. Is the factory one not legal?

I don't care what the answer is. I just want the details spelled out so everyone is on the same page. I was _sure_ I knew what the rule meant last year when I showed up to the first race in Houston. That didn't work out so well...

Richard P.