Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Air Deflector Rule

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Maybe the rule should be changed to only allow a factory piece so no interpretation is needed. I would have to buy a new one, but to stop people from trying to read too much into the rules I would do it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Maybe the rule should be changed to only allow a factory piece so no interpretation is needed. I would have to buy a new one, but to stop people from trying to read too much into the rules I would do it.

I like the simplicity of that but the air dam does have a significant effect on engine cooling. Overheating race cars are no fun...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    My interpretation is that the piece should be completely vertical (+/- a tolerance %). Any angle forward would not be legal.
    I've never had the interpretation that it could not be angled; the wording from a couple years ago allowed for a non-horizontal, i.e. parallel to the ground, deflector to my reading.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 CMC Rules
    Radiator air deflectors shall be no more than a total of 6 inches wider than the radiator itself and no lower than 2 inches measured vertically from the ground.328may be removed, modified, or substituted according to the diagram below and must be centered at the same front/back location as the OEM deflector +/- 1":329
    Would the rule be better if it said "...attached in the same method/manner and front/back location as the OEM deflector +/- 1?"

There is already an effective size limitation given the ground clearance minimum and without out additional supports and/or mounting points, it would require significant material in weight to be very big.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Richard - the OEM one will cool the motor just fine. Since the car is making less than OEM power, I can't see how there would be an issue.
    The OEM one is legal as installed from the factory. If you modify it to angle more forward, I would have to ask why.
    If you install a non-OEM one, I would guess the face of it would be subject to the "OEM location +/- 1 inch". I would also assume it should not be angled at all.
    Your allowed to extend the OEM one left to right and down.

To me the rule is pretty clear......

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Richard - the OEM one will cool the motor just fine...

The OEM Ford one didn't cool my stock CMC1 legal motor very well at all...

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    To me the rule is pretty clear......

Really??? We have a few technically competent people voicing their opinions in this thread and coming up with different conclusions on what is legal. Your own explanation that I’m replying to is loaded with guesses and assumptions… that contradict themselves!

You seemed to think last year's rule was pretty clear also when we were in Houston last year but your interpretation didn't match Al's. Do you remember that? It was unpleasant.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    An OEM Camaro one will cool just fine. In fact, one season this stupid rule had me cut the factory one off by an inch and it still cooled fine.

I am really tired of this yearly changed rule.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    WHat if I attached a horizontal piece to the OEM deflector, so that when I'm running 100 mph, the deflector will angle downward to get within 1/2" of the track and create such downforce that I canstay on track at TWS T1.
    Just sayin'.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    To me the rule is pretty clear............
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Really??? We have a few technically competent people voicing their opinions in this thread and coming up with different conclusions on what is legal.
    I agree with Richard; how do you require that it be like OEM when we have "modified" in the rule itself?

Richard, like James I run cool enough with a new OEM piece.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    I agree with Richard in that the factory Mustang piece does not provide enough cooling assistance. Additionally, the factory piece was never intended to operate in CMC racing conditions even at near factory uotput levels.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    AI is the answer.