Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Austin area dyno day

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Anyone in the Austin area have four extra Mustang wheels with tires on them I could borrow for the dyno day? I have no wheels right now.

JJ
    I have spare 16" 5 lug wheels, some with RA1s that are good enough to dyno. For the front I have two '98 Cobra wheels with tires good enough to roll around on, will clear PBR or Brembo brakes not sure about other big brakes.

Let me know if you need them. Could meet you Friday PM.

Chuck
    CMC#14

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I have spare 16" 5 lug wheels, some with RA1s that are good enough to dyno. For the front I have two '98 Cobra wheels with tires good enough to roll around on, will clear PBR or Brembo brakes not sure about other big brakes.

Let me know if you need them. Could meet you Friday PM.

Chuck
    CMC#14
    Thanks Chuck!

Call me on my cell when you can. 512-658-7640. I would like to use the wheels if you don't mind.

Jerry

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Just a reminder that wheels with a significantly different rotational inertia than what you actually plan to run will show up in your dyno numbers...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Just a reminder that wheels with a significantly different rotational inertia than what you actually plan to run will show up in your dyno numbers...
    Yes, it will.
    Adam G.
    CMC #5
    2009 California Pony Car Cup CMC Champion
    2009 SoCal CMC Champion (Team Hollywood)
    2012 Kona Blue Metallic Boss 302 #1710
    Buy a hooptie, then race that mofo!
    NASA SoCal Race Director

Blog Entries

Richard P.

By how much Richard? If the wheel and tire is lighter than what we are going to run would I show more or less power with the heavier wheel/tire combo? Even maxed out with timing and everything my 4.6 does not make the numbers.

JJ

Senior Member Rookie

Richard P.
    Thanks for the tech. Richard. Looked up some Toyo RA1 tire data:
    275/40R17 is 29# and is 25.7" tall.
    255/50R16 is 27# and 26.1" tall.

So the normal 275/40R17 is two pounds heavier, but 0.4" shorter than the 255/50R16. Assuming the wheel weight is about the same, how big of an effect will this have on dyno numbers?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    CMC#14

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Thanks for the tech. Richard. Looked up some Toyo RA1 tire data:
    275/40R17 is 29# and is 25.7" tall.
    255/50R16 is 27# and 26.1" tall.

So the normal 275/40R17 is two pounds heavier, but 0.4" shorter than the 255/50R16. Assuming the wheel weight is about the same, how big of an effect will this have on dyno numbers?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    CMC#14
    Yeah.....what he said.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    It all depends on where the weight of the wheel and tire are concentrated. Weight in the center will rotate a lot easier than weight on the outside, so a larger (read heavier) tire will show lower HP than if you run a smaller tire (less weight on the outside of the circle).

Same principal comes into play during Michael's favorite sport to watch (ice skating). During a spin/twirl/whatever you call it, if their arms are out = slower rotation. Bring the arms in = faster rotation for the same initial input of energy.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    It all depends on where the weight of the wheel and tire are concentrated. Weight in the center will rotate a lot easier than weight on the outside, so a larger (read heavier) tire will show lower HP than if you run a smaller tire (less weight on the outside of the circle).

Same principal comes into play during Michael's favorite sport to watch (ice skating). During a spin/twirl/whatever you call it, if their arms are out = slower rotation. Bring the arms in = faster rotation for the same initial input of energy.
    Nicely done! Good information with a jab at the sibling thrown in. I give it a 8.5!
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post

SO if I'm good with the 16's I should show less power with the 17's?

JJ