Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What happened?

Looks like we lost the oil pump and cooked the motor. It's locked up and Jay and I pulled it out yesterday. I pulled off the valve covers and there is no oil in the head at all. Cams are blue from being so hot. Drained oil and it's cooked (only one race on it Sat morning in R1) also the magnetic drain plug had metal on it. Lots of work to do between now and Cresson. If anyone knows about a wrecked Mustang GT I could get for a song (I'm a really good singer) please let me know. I need a 4.6 and the 8.8 rear end. I'm not sure it's worth it to carry the extra 50lbs. for the alum. block. We really could not tell that much difference between the iron and aluminum block engines as far as the way the car handled. I would have thought 70lbs off the nose would have made a huge difference but it did not.

I have questions.
    Who won R2? Also what happened in Diamonds Edge on the first lap of R2. Jay said cars were going everywhere. He thought there was some contact with several cars. Did all the cars make it okay?
    What about Sunday? Looking for a recap from R2 through the rest of the weekend.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    R2 was won by Marshall and Proctor.

Dan got his first win in R4

MyLaps is already up. Thanks Dave!

Some close finishes invloving Morgan...

R2
    5 95 Morgan Dawdy 13:33.555
    6 32 Gary Robertson 13:33.598

R4
    8 95 Morgan Dawdy 18:51.050
    9 34 Team WWR 18:51.059
    Last edited by Alien; 01-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Looks like we lost the oil pump and cooked the motor. It's locked up and Jay and I pulled it out yesterday. I pulled off the valve covers and there is no oil in the head at all. Cams are blue from being so hot. Drained oil and it's cooked (only one race on it Sat morning in R1) also the magnetic drain plug had metal on it. Lots of work to do between now and Cresson. If anyone knows about a wrecked Mustang GT I could get for a song (I'm a really good singer) please let me know. I need a 4.6 and the 8.8 rear end. I'm not sure it's worth it to carry the extra 50lbs. for the alum. block. We really could not tell that much difference between the iron and aluminum block engines as far as the way the car handled. I would have thought 70lbs off the nose would have made a huge difference but it did not.

JJ
    Sorry to hear about the engine Jerry. Did you get a chance to look at the oil pump yet to see if it failed like you thought?
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    Sorry to hear about the engine Jerry. Did you get a chance to look at the oil pump yet to see if it failed like you thought?
    Not yet. Tonight I will see for sure.

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Billet oil pump gears Jerry....even if you go with a junkyard motor... Cushmanmotorsports.com. he has pumps with good gears in them.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Do the 4.6's have the same issue that 302's seem to have, where the o/p drive shaft ends up looking like a twisler?
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    i have an 8.8 in my garage that you can have, not sure what gears are in it , 3.27 , quad shock mounts are cut off.
    AI # 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlmlml View Post
    i have an 8.8 in my garage that you can have, not sure what gears are in it , 3.27 , quad shock mounts are cut off.

Sold! I have to get the other end fixed first but I can put my 3.73's in it. Mine is making noise and leaking out of the plug welds that were re-welded at Hallett.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Do the 4.6's have the same issue that 302's seem to have, where the o/p drive shaft ends up looking like a twisler?
    No drive shaft on the 4.6 oil pump.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoz27 View Post
    Billet oil pump gears Jerry....even if you go with a junkyard motor... Cushmanmotorsports.com. he has pumps with good gears in them.
    I should have done it right the first time Matt. I was told unless you are going to turn 7 grand the billet gears were not needed. Now I'm reading about Track even guys having the same thing happen to them. I will have the billet gears in the next one and a big red oil light. There is no way to watch the gauge while driving at speed.

JJ