Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer Laws - and corresponding tickets

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar

Thumbs up Trailer Laws - and corresponding tickets

I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60. One of those speed traps where the speed drops for no reason and I had the cruise on.

However, I also received two trailer violation tickets, so guys beware what some popo are looking for.

1. No brake away device to lock the trailer wheels in the event it came disconnected from the truck. I was not aware I had to have one, but the law states that if the gross weight of the trailer and cargo is over 4500lbs, you must have this device.
    I talked with alot of folks and looked at their trailers and probably only 50% had this device.

2. No yearly trailer inspection. I had no idea of this law and actually never heard of such. Below is what the inspection covers. I didn't talk to anyone that was aware or had this inspection sticker.

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.
    * Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
    2. Tires
    3. Wheel Assembly
    4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
    5. Tail Lamps (2)
    6. Stop Lamps (2)
    7. License Plate Lamp (1)
    8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
    9. Turn Signal Lamps
    10. Clearance Lamps
    11. Side Marker Lamps
    12. Side Reflectors
    13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
    (Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
    14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

I was also threatened a ticket for not having commercial plates. Since the car has number, we must be making money was his statement. He first told me to take it up with the judge, but chose not to fine me.

So folks... be aware.....If you do a little searching...apparently the states and local governments are needing more revenue and this is their new revenue stream.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Brutal... and thank for the heads up JP.

Sounded like that Fuzz was a primo A-Hole. Most cops are pretty cool when you get chatting with them, a few are just out to get you though. I have a story of getting stopped for 71 in a 70 coming back from Garner one time - pulled out of the car and interrogated roadside too. I'll tell that over some Keystone someday.
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60. One of those speed traps where the speed drops for no reason and I had the cruise on.

However, I also received two trailer violation tickets, so guys beware what some popo are looking for.

1. No brake away device to lock the trailer wheels in the event it came disconnected from the truck. I was not aware I had to have one, but the law states that if the gross weight of the trailer and cargo is over 4500lbs, you must have this device.
    I talked with alot of folks and looked at their trailers and probably only 50% had this device.

2. No yearly trailer inspection. I had no idea of this law and actually never heard of such. Below is what the inspection covers. I didn't talk to anyone that was aware or had this inspection sticker.

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.
    * Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
    2. Tires
    3. Wheel Assembly
    4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
    5. Tail Lamps (2)
    6. Stop Lamps (2)
    7. License Plate Lamp (1)
    8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
    9. Turn Signal Lamps
    10. Clearance Lamps
    11. Side Marker Lamps
    12. Side Reflectors
    13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
    (Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
    14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

I was also threatened a ticket for not having commercial plates. Since the car has number, we must be making money was his statement. He first told me to take it up with the judge, but chose not to fine me.

So folks... be aware.....If you do a little searching...apparently the states and local governments are needing more revenue and this is their new revenue stream.
    Ours has a safety break away system. I have heard of the inspection but was told it is for larger trailers. Ours only has 2 axles and 4 wheels total. I was informed its for trailers with 4 tires per axle or commercial trailers. Where are you even supposed to put an inspection sticker?? There is a spot for the registration on the plate, but I don't think there's a spot for the inspection...
    ~Darcie

This was a Rockwall County sheriff's deputy and he was actually nice and took time to explain the law, but I still was not too happy.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    When doing their job means they can get money from us they have no problem going above and beyond. But when I call them on two different occasions at 1:00am because our neighbor's dog won't STFU and I have to get up at 5:30...
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60.
    FWIW, when I first came to SoCal in 2008, while towing to Buttonwillow, I was pulled over for doing 75 in a 75. Except, whenever a vehicle is towing anything in CA, the maximum speed limit is 55. Period. End of discussion.

$500+ ticket. Wife was not amused.

I need to see if CA has similar laws about a break-away system, lights, etc. I'm sure they do.....
    Adam G.
    CMC #5
    2009 California Pony Car Cup CMC Champion
    2009 SoCal CMC Champion (Team Hollywood)
    2012 Kona Blue Metallic Boss 302 #1710
    Buy a hooptie, then race that mofo!
    NASA SoCal Race Director

Never knew about trailer inspections myself. I have a break-away kit, but I'd be surprised if the battery could hold a charge...
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Let us know if you find anything out about that trailer inspection stuff so we can spread the word to everyone. I can't even think of where to begin to find a place that could even do it...?

I'd also recommend just hiring a traffic lawyer to fight the system back with this one. I came out way ahead after getting dinged for a 75-in-a-65 plus a bunch of other BS along those same lines you're facing tacked on to boot. Got out of everything for a $250 check to the laywer and $50 in "Court Costs" to get 90 days probation on the speeding and everything else dismissed outright instead of around $600 in fines. Fighting it myself would've been a huge waste of time and money, the lawyers seem to be buddies with the DAs so they end up getting breaks you'll never get yourself in my experiences in this state and others.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Just a lurker here, but I have an open car trailer and 38' enclosed trailer. I was just recently pulled over with the enclosed and warned for the trailer inspection. Based on our discussion (DPS officer), any car trailer(tandem axle) is required to have brakes on one axle, the breakaway box as noted above and a trailer inspection. The enclosed was required the same things plus since the GVWR of my truck is 11000lbs(05 Dodge 3500) and the GVWR of the enclosed trailer(38' Pace enclosed) is 15500lbs, the combined GVWR exceeds 26000lbs. So you ask? Well, anything over 26000lbs requires the driver to have a Class A driver's license. It doen't have to be a CDL but must be a Class A. Fortunately, I have a CDL or I would have been in a bind. Anyways, the trailer inspection laws have been on the books forever but never enforced. You can get your trailer inspected anywhere they do car inspections as it is not a DOT inspection but a state safety inspection.

Good luck

Turbotoddie

That is basically what i have found out. Any tandem axle trailer can carry at least 5000lbs and is therefore over the 4500gvw and subject to the laws above which definitely require trailer brakes, a breakaway device and yearly inspections.

All state inspection locations are authorized to do trailer inspections, but most don't do it or in many in many cases didn't know they could.