Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Laws - and corresponding tickets

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you have a winch and a car battery to run it w/ in/on your trailer, use this for your break-away battery. My winch battery is charged anytime the truck is running w/ the trailer connected. The break-away switch is a small spring loaded contact held open by a plastic pin. The pin is connected to your truck via a small cable. If things come unhooked, the pin is pulled and power is applied to your brakes. My open trailer I used in 2005/2006 had one, but the one I have now doesn't. Hell the brakes don't work at all now. Man, I gotta get that fixed.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    I take my trailer to the local RV dealer, plenty of room in the parking lot... I drop the trailer, head over to Cabelas next door, grab lunch and go pick up the trailer. Easy!

If you get a ticket for NO Inspection! Keyword is NO Inspection on the trailer... thats different from Expired inspection!
    That ticket is NOT allowed to be reduced if you get get the inspection. You have to pay it in full! Unlike the expired inspection.
    I was pulled over twice on one trip, on a stretch of 30 miles of a 200 mile trip.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I'm currently borrowing a trailer from an Oklahoma resident. No tag, no inspection, no adherence to Texas laws since active duty military don't have to change registration to the state they're stationed in.

The look in the officer's face is priceless when I show them this: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/nctl.pdf
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    For North Houston racers, I used Countryside trailers at I45 and north of Hwy 2920.
    I took it in for door repair and service the wheel bearings, and they inspected the trailer since it was expired.....for several years. Didn't know about the inspection until then. Had to replace the battery.
    Sorry about your dilemma James.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Well I found the costs yesterday.

Speeding: $175
    no breakaway: $200
    no inspection: $200

However, if I get it inspected and install the breakaway, those tickets are dropped for $30 in court costs. Then take defensive driving for $110 and that ticket is dropped.

The breakaway is costs about $40-50 to purchase and I will install it. I found out my cousin/sponsor(owner of the tire store that swaps tires for me) can inspect the trailer.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My trailer has the breakaway but I have never hooked it up. I leave the cable stuffed in a compartment. I guess we should all split James cost since he has enlightened us on the subject (not the speeding he's on his own on that part). Put it on my bill James. I have a few other cost to cover at the moment.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    The other confusing thing is were to put the inspection sticker. When I bought my trailer the sticker was on the tongue on the left side. That is were I was putting it untill I got pulled over and I was told it needed to be on the left side of the trailer at the front at eye level so it could be seen by an office seated in his car. This was confirmed at an "official" inspection station. I don't know were it goes on an open trailer, I assume on the tongue. FYI FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Good question Frank... I was not told where to put the inspection sticker, but I have been looking and it appears most that had one were on the left side of the tongue.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    The left side of the tongue is where my inspection sticker was placed. I guess we all know where the DPS can put the tickets.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Well that sux ....

But, it's been discussed before ...

http://www.aicmctexas.com/main/showthread.php?2506-