Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Laws - and corresponding tickets

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    On the subject of dead breakaway batteries, I've never bothered to charge them. I just installed one of these and now I don't even have to think about it. 15 minutes and $9.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...ins/20011.html
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I don't think they even care if they are charged....just that you have one. My breakaway charges while connected to the truck.

BTW... After taking defensive driving, adding the breakaway and getting the trailer inspected..... it still cost me about $150, but that was better than $600.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Couple of weeks ago, I paid $99 for a 5 yr Maine registration for my open hauler from http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

All I did is fax in a copy of the front of my title (they also accept your current reg receipt) and they called back to get my credit card info. No inspection required. Plate came in this weekend and I couldn't be happier.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Couple of weeks ago, I paid $99 for a 5 yr Maine registration for my open hauler from http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

All I did is fax in a copy of the front of my title (they also accept your current reg receipt) and they called back to get my credit card info. No inspection required. Plate came in this weekend and I couldn't be happier.
    I'd be careful doing this. I looked into this a couple years ago when I first read about it on another forum.

From what I gathered ...

That registration gets you an "apportioned" tag which basically means it's registered through a business (in this case maine trailer registration whose primary business is to register trailers) and is used on (among many things) a two wheeled vehicle whose gross weight (GVWR) is 26,000 or more. Does your tow vehicle, trailer and car total 26,000lbs?

It also means the trailer is registered for use in transporting goods across multiple jusidictions.

That leads you into the DOT black hole of driver logs, manifests, etc., etc., etc.

Things may've changed in the last few years, but if not and Texas is beginning to crack down on trailer inspections, I would think a Maine tag labeled as apportioned with a race car on it might raise some suspicion.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    I'd be careful doing this. I looked into this a couple years ago when I first read about it on another forum.

From what I gathered ...

That registration gets you an "apportioned" tag which basically means it's registered through a business (in this case maine trailer registration whose primary business is to register trailers) and is used on (among many things) a two wheeled vehicle whose gross weight (GVWR) is 26,000 or more. Does your tow vehicle, trailer and car total 26,000lbs?

It also means the trailer is registered for use in transporting goods across multiple jusidictions.

That leads you into the DOT black hole of driver logs, manifests, etc., etc., etc.

Things may've changed in the last few years, but if not and Texas is beginning to crack down on trailer inspections, I would think a Maine tag labeled as apportioned with a race car on it might raise some suspicion.
    A friend of mine used to work for Trident Metals and he said DOT was way worse then OSHA.

JJ

Blog Entries
    I would worry more about the trooper giving me a hard time for having a Maine license plate on my trailer when I have a Texas drivers license with a Texas address, being pulled by a truck with Texas plates. I'm thinking that if he starts questioning me about the Maine plates it sure isn't going to help with getting a warning about anything else.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I would worry more about the trooper giving me a hard time for having a Maine license plate on my trailer when I have a Texas drivers license with a Texas address, being pulled by a truck with Texas plates. I'm thinking that if he starts questioning me about the Maine plates it sure isn't going to help with getting a warning about anything else.
    Hence apportioned ... the trailer isn't necessarily registered to an individual owner, rather a business doing interstate commerce.

It why a Wal-Mart truck registered in Arkansas is pulling an apprtioned trailer registered in Maine and the driver has a California driver's license.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    If you get the Barney Fife I got... he will almost guarantee throw the commercial license crap.

He told me that I should have CDL, since racing is a business and I was making money racing. I argued with him and he let me go on that.

Blog Entries
    Hmm will have to do some more research on this. Keeping the TX plate in the trailer box to be safe for now...

Fortunately for me, I'm still young enough to give off the "dumb kid" look/vibe, enough to perhaps convince a barney fife that I don't know what I'm doing, rather than think I'm pulling some commercial crap. Maybe when the 5-yr registration expires I'll have some age on me and will have to go back to the Texas plate

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Hmm will have to do some more research on this. Keeping the TX plate in the trailer box to be safe for now...

Fortunately for me, I'm still young enough to give off the "dumb kid" look/vibe, enough to perhaps convince a barney fife that I don't know what I'm doing, rather than think I'm pulling some commercial crap. Maybe when the 5-yr registration expires I'll have some age on me and will have to go back to the Texas plate
    Get a new plastic plate holder... break it off... when you get pulled over put your hands on you hips and say "Damnit, I just put a new bracket on there... "