Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMC and header wrap on exhaust manifolds - not legal.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CMC and header wrap on exhaust manifolds - not legal.

Seems we have some folks who thought the use of header wrap was legal on OEM manifolds as well as aftermarket headers. I can assure you it is not legal. This has been very clear w/ the Director staff as long as I have been racing in CMC (I asked in 2004) that it is not legal. You can use it on any part beyond the manifold itself, but not on the manifolds. If you have it, you need to remove it to be legal for 2012. Platforms allowed to have non-OEM manifolds can use a part that is sold w/ an exhaust coating, but that does not allow the use of a header wrap.
    Sorry if you have this. Please do not make me issue a DQ.

I know of two folks at this point (no need to rat yourself out). No need to name names. Lets just get it resolved.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I won't make Cresson but that cheating confident bastard BL will be pulling the restrictor and weight to play with Dr. Frankunsteen and his fire breathing carb at TWS. Just hoping to be able to stay close enough to the trophy girls so I can pass them on the straight every time at TWS then make "Crazy Ivan" turns the rest of the lap to keep them from passing me.

I sure thought it was legal.

Glenn-are the $7 can of DEI Hi-Temp Silicone Coatings legal on the manifolds?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I won't make Cresson but that cheating confident bastard BL will be pulling the restrictor and weight to play with Dr. Frankunsteen and his fire breathing carb at TWS. Just hoping to be able to stay close enough to the trophy girls so I can pass them on the straight every time at TWS then make "Crazy Ivan" turns the rest of the lap to keep them from passing me.

I sure thought it was legal.

Glenn-are the $7 can of DEI Hi-Temp Silicone Coatings legal on the manifolds?
    Join the 3 car as we plull balast and run AI...

Blog Entries
    Glenn that is a Ceramic Coating according to the description so according to the rules that would be illegal. I think you should be allowed to be use it and agree with your interpretation but there shouldn't have to be any interpreting. This class of racing doesn't need to be subject to pyrometer reading of manifolds to determine if your coating is legal and mine isn't. Al-get the rule clarified. There is a poll on the national website if you care to spend a minute and go vote on the matter. I can tell you the results conflict with the current rule.

Sounds good Love-if the trophy girls of AI are still wounded and we can get 5 cars then tire races could be interesting.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Yes guys please go vote on the poll on the national site. No matter which way you feel the more votes on there the more it will garner the attention of the rules makers. It is currently overwhelmingly in favor of allowing header wrap and coatings but is still a small sample size.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Blog Entries
    It may be a small sample but....... The odds of for/against votes is still the same for 20 as it is for 100. I hate it when folks say "well not all CMC'ers are on this site to vote, so this poll is not accuate......" BS. What it says is of the people who voted, a higher percent of racers feel differen't that the majority of Directors.
    Thumbs up John.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Please do not make me issue a DQ.
    Really?!?! Issue a DQ for header wrap? Especially if they are ok on the dyno?? A note in a logbook (the first time) to simply remove it for the next event isn't suitable enough?? For an item that is questionable, at best for being a "performance enhancement"??

Holy shit, that's completely ridiculous, and severe overkill at a regional event.

Did you forget why we do this, Glenn? It's for good close racing, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    It may be a small sample but....... The odds of for/against votes is still the same for 20 as it is for 100. I hate it when folks say "well not all CMC'ers are on this site to vote, so this poll is not accuate......" BS. What it says is of the people who voted, a higher percent of racers feel differen't that the majority of Directors.
    Thumbs up John.
    To make a poll accurate for a CMC rules question, then all CMC racers should be included in the poll. If they aren't, the poll doesn't accurately reflect all of the CMC racers. Your lack of understanding that is bullshit, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg View Post
    To make a poll accurate for a CMC rules question, then all CMC racers should be included in the poll. If they aren't, the poll doesn't accurately reflect all of the CMC racers. Your lack of understanding that is bullshit, not the other way around.
    When NASA National polled CMC racers a few years ago it wasn't sent to all CMC racers. Yet, the results reflected the vote of the ones who did participate in the poll.
    CMC#79

Blog Entries
    Do poll's often ask every person who lives in the US? Or do they take a sample and allow it to reflect the "popular" opinion? I think the 2nd one. So in this case do you think the opinion of those who decide not to vote ALL fall in a single direction and the opinion of those who do vote fall the other direction? If you think that, you have some serious issues.

As for a DQ at a regional event and your opinion.... I would agree and such has happened many times. In this instance there has been fair notice given. Consider this the "logbook entry".
    You commented eslewhere about how each region is different (posted today on the National site).
    [quote]Each region is unique, and the communication method that works for one region may not be as well suited for another.[\quote]

This region wants the rules enforced and expects a DQ when they are violated. The races here in Texas participated in a poll (dear God! not another poll!) and that was the result - DQ's for CMC rules violations.

The FUN is for all involved, not just those who do not want to follow the rules. Some folks don't think it is very fun to show up w/ a legal car only to get beat by a non-legal car. The expectation is everyone will be legal. I do my best to not pick and choose which rules I will and will not enforce based on my own personal opinion on them. In this case, I think it is flat out stupid this rule did not change when I sugested it in the off season year before last. You commented above that this has minimal performance impact, but you voted against allowing the change in 2010 for the 2011 rules. That is really odd.
    Last edited by GlennCMC70; 02-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.