Thread: Failure analysis

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar

Failure analysis

I've been logging my various track-side issues since I started racing and was just looking at it to see what else I should prep for Hallett. Thought I'd share and see if anyone wants to add to the list.

Some of the issues were just me being lazy but others were pretty random and unexpected. In any case, these are the things I've had pop up over 2 years of racing a 4th gen. It's either worth sharing and helps somebody out or just proves I suck at car prep.

Event Problem Why? Fix
    TWS 2012 PS fluid spraying engine bay ? Replace PS pump & hose
    TWS 2012 Exhaust rattle New mount broke Design a better mount
    TWS 2012 Low voltage readings Dead cell in battery Replace battery
    Cresson 2012 Camera didn't record R4 Can't see the light Remote light for camera
    Cresson 2012 AIR tube on left header broke Thermal fatigue + vibration Welded patch over hole
    Houston 2012 Exhaust rattle Tweaked mount hopping curb Replace mount & don't hop curbs
    Houston 2012 Opti rotor let go Shitty design - plastic rivets Replaced w/ MSD - uses screws
    TWS Nov. 2011 Lower radiator hose popped off Clamp loosened up Tightened clamp
    TWS Nov. 2011 Exhaust mount broke Shitty weld on bracket Replace w/ steel mount / good weld
    ECR 2011 Torque arm mount flew off Upper bolt loosened up More loctite / inspect more often
    ECR 2011 Rear diff puked fluid ? Long looped hose on diff vent
    Hallett 2011 Right side hub sheared off Too much play / cheap O'Reilly's hub Replace more often w/ Timkin hubs
    Hallett 2011 Fuel pump cutting out Bad ground in factory harness? Direct-wired pump to disti block
    Hallett 2011 Water temp too hot Stock radiator on a hot day Radiator upgrade
    TWS Apr. 2011 Posi case broke Axle hop Rebuild rearend, stiffer rear springs
    Houston 2011 Alternator Reman alternator + 6300 rpm 4" pulley
    ECR 2010 Rough shifting tranny Clutch fluid low Check more often
    TWS 2010 PS pump blew up Heat + 6500 rpm Turn One pump, PS cooler, drop shift point
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Thanks Casey. have replaced alternator, but will replace battery as well.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Nut, bolt, and fluid check is regular maintenance if you want to avoid breaking. Put together a list of things to check, each car is different.
    Al Fernandez

Umm...yeah. You should see the spreadsheet of doom I use to inspect and prep the car for every race. This is all the crap that was perfectly fine at the house and then failed at the track. Usually on Sunday.
    AI #29

Member Rookie
    It's an AI car, they love to break stuff.

Wait until you break a 9" center section, alternator fans fly apart then the case cracks in 5 pieces while you're leading, trans cross member bolts fall out while you're running 3rd at Nationals, your master cylinder starts leaking from the reservoir gaskets 30 minutes before the National Championship race, you lose a K-member bolt, water pump bolts back out, your freshly re-valved Konis break the adjusters off after one weekend, your 4-piston calipers wear the bores funny at the end of travel and you have to jam in another half used set of pads because you don't have a new set, and that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head in the last two years!

I refuse to put together a list like this as it would be far too depressing. I think if I saw all the stuff that has failed in the last three years, I would have to face how much money and time I've spent keeping my car together. Seeing it in writing would be just too overwhelming.
    Robert Salus
    #24 Camaro Mustange Challenge
    Sponsors: TiresDirect.net , Cassidy Tire & Service & CTW Motorsports
    Facebook Page: Heavy Impact Motorsports

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by wastntim View Post
    I refuse to put together a list like this as it would be far too depressing. I think if I saw all the stuff that has failed in the last three years, I would have to face how much money and time I've spent keeping my car together. Seeing it in writing would be just too overwhelming.
    Ditto... not enough time in the day to make that list, especially since I was running both a race car and track car for a year and then ran two race cars for a year...

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    No oil pump failures, cracked blocks, trashed heads, come on, what kind of list is that??? FMR

Don't jinx me Frank...with all the catastrophic failures in AI this year, I already feel like that guy in Dead Man Walking.
    AI #29