Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a 1998 Cobra

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Opinions on a 1998 Cobra

Found a 1998 Cobra through a friend. Car is a long ways off from being a CMC/AI car, but it's a really clean car. Car has 82,000 miles and the engine is stock other then a cold air intake. I'm not sure how many of the suspension mods can be moved over to CMC either. Even if I just used it for an HPDE car I think it would do pretty well. He wants $9,000 for it, which I think is a little high. Maybe some of you guys could tell me what you think. Here is the list of mods.

ENGINE
    STEEDA Ultra Cool Aluminum Radiator
    CANTON 7qt Road Race Oil Pan
    PROTHANE Urethane Motor Mounts
    DR. GAS Side Exit Exhaust (Eleanor)

TRANSMISSION
    FMS 03 Clutch W/Aluminum Flywheel
    MGW Shifter w/Cobra Shifter Knob
    MM Clutch Pedal Height, Quad and Firewall Adjuster

CHASSIS
    FMS Strut Tower Brace
    KB Double Cross Super Subframe Connectors W/Extreme Matrix Brace and Jacking Rails
    KB Rear Shock Tower Brace

BRAKES
    BREMBO Front Calipers
    HAWK Plus Front & Rear Brake Pads
    RUSSELL Front Braided Brake Lines
    RPW Front Brake Cooling Ducts
    SPEED BLEEDERS Front & Rear

FRONT SUSPENSION
    MM Coil-Over
    BILSTEIN Struts Race Valved
    HYPERCOIL Springs 400 LB/IN Front
    STEEDA 35 mm Tubular Front Swaybar
    MM Caster/Camber Plates
    MM Lower Control Arms Forward Offset W/Delrin Bushings
    MM Adjustable Tie Rod Ends
    Urethane Steering Rack Bushings

REAR SUSPENSION
    MM Coil-Over
    BILSTEIN Shocks Race Valved
    HYPERCOIL Springs 275 LB/IN Rear
    MM Lower Control Arms W/3-Piece Urethane Bushings & Teflon-lined Spherical Bearings
    MM Torque-Arm, Panhard Bar, Adjustable Swaybar
    ENERGY Bump-Stop Bushing

INTERIOR
    COBRA Daytona Sport Seats
    AUTOPOWER Road Race Roll Bar
    CROW Harness Belts
    YMR Rear Seat Delete Kit
    AUTOMETER Gauges
    TAYLOR Battery Relocate

Exterior
    Street / FMS 95 Cobra R 17X9 W/NITTO 555 255/45-17 front and 285/40-17 Rear
    Track / AFS Replica 2000 Cobra R 17x9 W/NITTO RII 275/40-17
    ARP Wheel Studs
    ABC Front Chin Spoiler
    SALEEN S281 Rear Wing
    PRO-FIT Linear Fuel Door
    LRS Ultra Clear Headlights W/Ultra Clear Diamond Sidemarkers

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    I think there is a '95 Cobra for sale up north that is the same price and is complete with log-book. This car that you are posting has many nice parts, but many of them are not CMC legal. Up to you whether or not you want to try to re-sell them to get some money back, or not pay for them in the first place. My experience with the Autopower cages is that they fit VERY poorly as they are often designed to keep the doors/door panels and dash 100% intact. In my opinion, you want the door bars out much wider and a dash bar for strength. There are lots of pros to the car, but lots of question marks too. Again, just a personal thing, but I'd stay away from 4.6 motors. Too much complexity for little to no weight savings on the front of the car. NEED PICS!
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

I had the same thoughts as well, but wasn't sure how much value the mods added to the car. It's been a while since I've messed with Mustangs. Here's some pics.
    img2310jp9.jpg
    img2299xz4.jpg
    img23371wa7.jpg

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Everything Wade said, especially the part about bringing back down to spec. Price seems high, even with all those goodies.

Plus that's WAY too nice to be a CMC car... Wirtz may disagree.
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Gotta agree that it would be too much work to bring the suspension back to CMC spec. Nice looking car though. Shop around and you'll be able to get a nice CMC car for that same money. (Now if I only I had been smart enough to take my own advice I'd be headed to Hallett.)
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=4011

This car seems to be pretty well built, but is more expensive than most of the CMC cars I've seen. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this car? Any opinions?

No personal experience with that car, but I've heard from reputable sources in Ca that its very nice, built well, etc. Its also very expensive!
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    That is my exact car. My 96 may have looked even better right before I gutted it and converted it into what it is now. Mine only had 28k miles and was owned by an 80 year old man. Its a great car but if you are going to run CMC I would let it pass. This one is set up for AI with a proper cage. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=4011

This car seems to be pretty well built, but is more expensive than most of the CMC cars I've seen. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this car? Any opinions?
    I've raced against this car, as well as raced this car. I also know the shop that built it.

Yes, it's expensive. It only needs the front bumper cover replaced with a stock GT cover (one of the most asinine, ridiculous, stupid f'n rule changes - ever), and, possibly, a new set of belts (they are likely outdated). Completely fresh motor, new StopTechs, and a host of goodies.

If you want more information, feel free to contact me offline.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    What Frank said. That's about how my GT was set up right before I moved to AI. I even had the same cage (it definitely needs to go, bolts to the floorpan and will punch straight through if you land on it hard enough). As for the motor, it's complex if you haven't worked with them much, and they are heavy. The 4V with an aluminum block is only 9lbs lighter that a 2V with an iron block.

That would be a better AI car than trying to downgrade it for CMC. The 4V will make the power if you don't mind the weight.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT