Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't a Mustang run a torque arm?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why can't a Mustang run a torque arm?

Prior to Hallett I had my welder weld up the two or three places that had torn on the upper right side control arm. The material did not want to weld and with the small portable welder he brought to my house on 110 power it just made dingleberries. I had never had a problem but this year I went from the stock rubber to the Poly bushing on the chassis side (big mistake!) and I assume this is what caused this tearing. When I ran the rubber bushing I would go through two in a season. Now my big problem. Looks like all our brake issues were from the upper bracket tearing away from the body. It's almost completely gone. I ordered the kit to repair these upper brackets and it's a joke. My right side is gone......torn almost all the way out. The kit will do nothing to help me. Both sheet metal brackets that the bolt goes through (upper control arm bolt) are split.

photo.jpgtorn 1.jpg

I can go to the other side and use the left side but if that tears then what? At this point I would be happy to go back to the four link but how?
    So tell me again why it's okay for the Camaro to have a torque arm but Mustangs can't?

JJ

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    So tell me again why it's okay for the Camaro to have a torque arm but Mustangs can't?

JJ
    B/C the Camaro came with one from the factory and the Mustang did not.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If your chassis is preped like the GM's, they run it through some type of anti-corrosion bath before its painted. You have to grind off all this coating. Sometimes the area to be welded needs to be heated w/ a torch to burn off the coating. At this point the current welds are likely contaminated and will need to be ground off.

About your failure - This is why we allowed the repair kit to be installed PRIOR to failure. Don't take this as a "told you so" type comment. This is why these parts are allowed - they are needed. Obviously this is the downside to the PM3L set-up.

Now - I'm OK w/ you running a torque arm as long as your willing to do so while not earning CMC points. This would allow us to at least see real would laptime data of before and after. No guarantee's for future CMC legality.
    Last edited by GlennCMC70; 07-11-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    My car has a torque arm. That's one solution. AI.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    We all know how Jerry feels about AI.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waco Racer View Post
    Thanks Clifton! Such a good friend.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132 View Post
    My car has a torque arm. That's one solution. AI.
    Ditto. AI.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waco Racer View Post
    Yep. It's too expensive...you have to buy torque arms.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Quote Originally Posted by edrock96GT View Post
    Yep. It's too expensive...you have to buy torque arms.
    Jerry, if you are happy racing regionally think about how competitive the #55 could be in AI, just as an option to consider.

Eddie placed 3rd regionally last year and I wonder how his expenses compare to any CMC drivers - his talent and perserverance got him there, not $....hell I spent the same $ (maybe $200 more) running AI all of last year that I would have spent running CMC since I ran the less expensive Nittos most of the year. If I drop to 17's (still pondering what will happen next year) I very likely could spend the same year-to-year in AI as CMC - factor in a desire to win week-to-week or go to Nats and that plan is busted but otherwise it's sound - and a win on inverts is still a win

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Jerry,
    Buy a torque arm, bolt it on while you are trying to figure out a solution for the car. Run AI for the rest of the year and then with the data you've gathered (delta between you and your closest racer from previous races) would be able to see what a torque arm gives, performance wise. Just my .02
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...