Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Over my dead body! Haha!
    You got a bite Glenn set the hook!

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was wondering if it was too soon for that joke. Guess not.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonNW View Post
    Would there be any value to building up the area as a preventative measure? (I know this guy who can weld pretty good.) And if the answer is yes, would that be legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    My understanding is the rules don't say we can, so we can't. However, if I'm (hopefully) wrong, let us know. Car is headed back up to the shop for exhaust work by MY guy who can weld, and I'd like to have him beef this up too...
    By building up do you mean adding gussets and plate steel? No. If you mean grinding off the old weld and re-welding it? Sure.

These things were just not welded right from the factory. In some cases I have seen the bead only on one side for 40-50% of the bead.
    If you look at Dan's first pic w/ the inset pic in the top left, you will see a stress riser just above the dot on the "i". The crack likely startedthere and workedover the HAZ for the OEM weld and just took off from there. My guess is if that stress riser was not there, the crack would have never started.

The only legal fix is to just re-weld it or replace it.
    Check your shit boys and girls.

I have never seen those shock pins do that.
    Dan - did you order a new set from UE yet?

I have never seen those shock pins do that.
    Dan - did you order a new set from UE yet?

Glenn;
    Jason at UE said he has never seen the pins fail either. He offered to replace for free if I sent them back for inspection.
    Dan

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    You got a bite Glenn set the hook!

JJ
    Just wanted you guys to know I wasn't dead. I'll be ordering my replacement fabricated K member with the forward offset to increase wheelbase. Hell, might as well go with the SLA setup while I'm in there :-) I mean, its only fair since my Fox is so much shorter than a 4th gen right?
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Just wanted you guys to know I wasn't dead. I'll be ordering my replacement fabricated K member with the forward offset to increase wheelbase. Hell, might as well go with the SLA setup while I'm in there :-) I mean, its only fair since my Fox is so much shorter than a 4th gen right?
    Don't waste your $$ Wade. The Fox has an advantage with the shorter wheelbase b/c it is more "nimble". At least that is what I have been told. ;^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar

Cool

Do these additional weld beads stiffen the chassis. I need to add some to protect my oil pan.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Don't waste your $$ Wade. The Fox has an advantage with the shorter wheelbase b/c it is more "nimble". At least that is what I have been told. ;^)
    LOL... I am told I suck as a driver and that only superior factory setups are why have had a little success.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    LOL... I am told I suck as a driver and that only superior factory setups are why have had a little success.
    And you laughed at them right?
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Just to be perfectly clear (like Richard Nixon). I know James, Dan, and Michael (and a few others) would still beat me no matter what I drove. It's not like I think I would be outrunning these guys if I was in a fourth gen. I hope you did not take my comments that way James. Hell I had the biggest lead ever at Hallett and you and Michael made me look like a fool and caught and passed me like I was tied to a post. The car I was driving is not the reason you caught me. No sour grapes here.

The only thing I know for sure is I can beat the 24 driving with one hand.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 07-29-2012 at 02:16 PM.