Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lessons from Hallett #82

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Just to be perfectly clear (like Richard Nixon).I hope you did not take my comments that way James. Hell I had the biggest lead ever at Hallett and you and Michael made me look like a fool and caught and passed me like I was tied to a post.
    JJ
    JJ.... No way man. This is just for fun for me. Nothing you have said or anything is entire thread did I take that way.....but I have jokingly heard it a couple of times around the pits.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post

The only thing I know for sure is I can beat the 24 driving with one hand.

JJ
    Now this is why nobody pays any attention to what you say about anything else. 1. We all know you only use one hand to drive so no big deal. 2. After Hallett we all know that I am too fast for you. 3. I did realize that I have always just referred to the #55 car and that isn't fair to Jay. From now on I will make sure to state whether I am talking about the 55 car or the actual driver. So I apologize to Jay for talking trash about the 55 car when it was all meant for Jerry. I know I'll only see the 55 behind me with Jerry behind the wheel but not so sure about Jay.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Jerry, you already have to tape two fingers together so Bryan doesnt have an excuse.

Now, about those tubular k-members for 4th gens...
    Al Fernandez

You too can drive a 3 wheeled Camaro!

Derek Wright tells me that he had the same failure. After several races he noticed more (negative) camber and toe in. Finally it went to 2" of toe in and over 5 degrees of negative camber in the drivers front. Moral of the story: check you toe and if it toes in (cuz we run front steer cars) then check you K member for cracks. Dont wait until you your Camaro becomes a tricycle.

Dan Allford #82

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Cracks in the K-member, PHR lower mounts, and front sway bar bracket mounts are fairly common.

Other areas to check for cracks (I've cracked/broken them) - torque arm holes (these wallow out or crack), torque arm mount on tranny, upper PHR mount, steering rack mounts and steering rack welded collar.

Oh, and keep rewelding the tranny tunnel cracks...

The pins breaking on shock mounts is rare - my guess is all the load got put through them on an off-road excursion. Dan - check your upper control arms while you are under there.

...Tubular K-member - welcome to AI.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Allford View Post
    After Hallett I checked toe and camber, I was happy to see that I had gained a degree of camber up to -3 deg. but I didn’t like the ¾” of toe in. Closer inspection revealed where the camber and toe came from:

Dan Allford #82

Dan and I were at MSRH with the Driver's Edge this past weekend. I gave an advanced classroom session on material strength, fatigue, and track car inspection using the above picture as one of my examples. Last night, while prepping the #82 for TWS this weekend, I found that the other side of the K member was cracked almost identically. Good think I practice what I preach and inspected the car.

The car is welded up and in the trailer, ready for the weekend. It turned out to be a good thing that we needed to weld on the car. Dan found out he was out of welding gas in the trailer. Without the ability to weld at the track this weekend, it's possible a few Mustangs wouldn't be able to finish the event... :-)

Richard P.
    Last edited by RichardP; 10-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.