Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientific evaluation of Camaro/Mustang performance parity

Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I think I am too dumb to be able to understand the data.
    ^^^ not a Mustang driver. Just sayin...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I'm posting this before I have even looked at the data Al just posted. I am a little frustrated b/c after James, Dan, and myself all gave the consent to use our data, I replied with my concern over the "purpose" of the test. I completely disagree with Al's comment below:
    "A little while ago, someone mentioned to me that he thought the problem with Foxes isnt that they're slower than the other cars, rather that they work the tires harder so they loose grip earlier, so by the end of the race they're done for."

I asked Al who this "someone" was where he heard this theory b/c it is the exact opposite of what I feel. This was a couple of weeks ago and I never got a response.
    I feel the Mustang is strong at the end b/c of its lighter weight. But what do I know, I'm not a director.
    Sorry to bag on you Al, I just feel if we are going to be putting forth effort to analyze data that we should be focusing in the right direction.

OK, rant off, now to see what the data says.
    The tire issue is something I think we have all been told by "Ford guys" from time to time and blame was always placed on the need for high negative camber settings. I don't know who made the quote though.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    The tire issue is something I think we have all been told by "Ford guys" from time to time and blame was always placed on the need for high negative camber settings. I don't know who made the quote though.
    Hmmm, I guess I have never heard that.
    The only thing that comes to mind is complaints of brake lockup due to the high negative camber that has to be run but I have not heard of any other issues.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty328 View Post
    ^^^ not a Mustang driver. Just sayin...
    Ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Ouch...
    Don't worry James, I am working on something for 2013 that will help even you less sophisticated Camaro jockeys

Al replied back to my e-mail and informed me it was a theory from another Fox driver from another region.
    I was a little caught off guard b/c I took it as it was something I had previously stated.

I don't feel this a disadvantage to the Fox but if the powers at be want to research more I think it would be beneficial to get more data from the other regions who run more 40 minute races than we do. IMO, the only 40 min race in TX (Hallett R4) is not worth looking at b/c James backed off ever so slightly due to his 5 second lead, I kept going as hard as possible, and Dan fell off after I got around him. The fact that my times didn't fall off as much as James and Dan is not shocking at all.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    and Dan fell off after I got around him.
    The fact that the front crossmember was ripping apart giving him 3/4" of toe in and both front shock mounts were broken could possibly have had a small effect on the amount that Dan fell off...

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    The fact that the front crossmember was ripping apart giving him 3/4" of toe in and both front shock mounts were broken could possibly have had a small effect on the amount that Dan fell off...

Richard P.
    I completely agree. That is why I am confused this data is being used and published for all to give an opinion on.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry, there is a major event coming soon that will have all platforms in attendance that will yeald plenty of great data.

Michael, again, sorry it took a while to respond to you. This set of data didn't come about because of you, but you were the best guy to either prove or disprove a theory. I completely agree that this data set isn't useful beyond the 14 or so laps we typically run in Texas due to there only being one 40 minute run in there and in that run James had a huge lead and Dan was limping. I'm already working on a similar exercise using data from other regions. It is, however, very good data to see what happens during 25 minute sessions if you focus on that part.
    Al Fernandez