Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Nationals Update from CMC#82

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I guess official results weren't quite so official then? Heh.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Drivers after action report:

The Nationals are worth the trouble to race.

All I managed to do was finish 5th. Even that was thanks to two full course cautions followed by good restarts and the fact Cody isnt clear on where 3rd gear is.

I struggled with HP problems at first which we solved with an optispark and a new coil. Then I struggled to learn the track. It was not until the 22 lap of the final race that I got in to the 1:40s. I found it challenging to learn the track because there a several places you would rather not go off.

As always the CMC crowd was great. Kent Owens took time to show me videos of the line through one of the corners. Derick Wright gave me pointers on several corners which helped a bunch. Kent gave me a tranny bolt and water pump gaskets when I needed them. Joe Bogetich offered to send one of his crew to pick up parts for me. And the beer flowed freely at parties every night.

Yes it was a long tow, too much time, too much money, too small a field and a bit humbling. But it was a tough crowd to race with and I crave a challenge. I enjoyed myself and learned a bit of driving too. I encourage everyone to attend next year at Miller. Support the series, race against some talented drivers and enjoy an intensity level which is hard to match.

Dan Allford #82

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Allford View Post
    The Nationals are worth the trouble to race.

All I managed to do was finish 5th. Even that was thanks to two full course cautions followed by good restarts and the fact Cody isnt clear on where 3rd gear is.

I struggled with HP problems at first which we solved with an optispark and a new coil. Then I struggled to learn the track. It was not until the 22 lap of the final race that I got in to the 1:40s. I found it challenging to learn the track because there a several places you would rather not go off.

As always the CMC crowd was great. Kent Owens took time to show me videos of the line through one of the corners. Derick Wright gave me pointers on several corners which helped a bunch. Kent gave me a tranny bolt and water pump gaskets when I needed them. Joe Bogetich offered to send one of his crew to pick up parts for me. And the beer flowed freely at parties every night.

Yes it was a long tow, too much time, too much money, too small a field and a bit humbling. But it was a tough crowd to race with and I crave a challenge. I enjoyed myself and learned a bit of driving too. I encourage everyone to attend next year at Miller. Support the series, race against some talented drivers and enjoy an intensity level which is hard to match.

Dan Allford #82

Congratulations on your drive Dan !

You looked great! Way to go!
    Storm Trooper

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    We took a break on the trip home to tour the Corvette plant and museum. Drove straight through after that. I got home about 4:30 this morning. I slep a few hours then dropped off the race car at Dan's shop before lunch. Now I'm at work...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    We took a break on the trip home to tour the Corvette plant and museum. Drove straight through after that. I got home about 4:30 this morning. I slep a few hours then dropped off the race car at Dan's shop before lunch. Now I'm at work...

Richard P.
    So what day did you leave and how many miles from Houston round trip? I forgot you flew up. How many days is the minimum you need to do the trip and run all the practice and races?

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 09-11-2012 at 04:21 PM.

from Houston both Miller and Mid-O are probably two days worth of towing if you're flying solo or don't want to do the straight through BS (1,600ish and 1,200ish respectively) . So Mon & Tues to get there, Practice Wed, Event Thurs-Sat or Sun depending on when your championship race is, and 2 days back puts you looking at Mon or Tues back home.

*fingers crossed we'll see COTA or NOLA get 2014+*
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    It would be really nice if NASA could get a rotation going for Nationals where it visited the East Coast, Southwest, Middle America (Kansas, Nebaraska), and the West Coast. Then everyone could afford to got to Nationals at least once every four years and then decide if the haul was worhtwhile the other years.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    It would be really nice if NASA could get a rotation going for Nationals where it visited the East Coast, Southwest, Middle America (Kansas, Nebaraska), and the West Coast. Then everyone could afford to got to Nationals at least once every four years and then decide if the haul was worhtwhile the other years.