Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire changes again?

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Tire changes again?

Looks like Spec Miata, 944-Spec and SpecE30 are changing - does this mean CMC and AI as well?

http://www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum...e-for-13#13643
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I knew this was coming, but was not able to say anything. I was told the same info first hand from one of the "testers". No date for CMC at this point, if there is one at all.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I knew this was coming, but was not able to say anything. I was told the same info first hand from one of the "testers". No date for CMC at this point, if there is one at all.
    I would rather see CMC go the other way (I know no one gives a shit). A DOT tire that will last half a season or more. Who cares if it's a faster tire as long as we are all on the same tire and the tire does not fall off with a few heat cycles? Getting a faster tire will just give the fastest guys a larger gap between them and us mid-pack-slackers. Please can't we go back to 230/300, 16" tires, and lose the big brakes and the S197? What happened to CMC being Grassroots racing? I think we could double the size of our fields with these changes (plus going to a street tire that would last most if not all of a season). I love the time I get on track but I understand why so may stop racing after a season or two. The cost to race are double what I expected when I decided to run CMC. If we could get these cost down I'm betting we could bring in and keep more racers.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Why can't we get a tire that last longer and who cares about faster? We need a tire that is cheaper not more expensive.

fast, cheap, long lasting - pick two and even then there is still some trade-off.

Seems like they nailed long lasting with this one IF the data in the link is true, and it just costs a teeny little bit more than the RA1s do. Development of a new tire isn't free....
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Why can't we get a tire that last longer and who cares about faster? We need a tire that is cheaper not more expensive.
    Well said.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    Seems like they nailed long lasting with this one IF the data in the link is true,
    And that's the big IF. Would be nice to get it to last as long as the old RA1's, but I think at this point, that's wishful thinking.

IF it lasts the same as the (newer) RA1, and is priced ONLY a few bucks more than an RA1, THEN it won't be a bad deal. Price will be offset for not needing to have them shaved, and maybe make availability of places to buy them from a bit more open.

It doesn't sound like too a radical change of tire. They say it's still a DOT tire, so it's not a "true" slick. I'm all for letting SM and 944 be the guinea pig tho.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

so they have tested it on 2000-2300lb cars with 150hp. Great. That info is worthless for 3000-3500lb cars with 260 to 360hp.... Just sayin'!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    No worries guys... "they" are going to do what "they" want... what we want doesn't ever matter...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was never asked what CMC wanted. Some where in the loop and others were not. FYI, until someone announces that CMC is changing, don't assume we are. I have two new RA1's and am about to order two more.