Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New AI Driver Brian Cook

Wow, awesome car! Can't wait to see it on track.

Watch out for the dents, the first one can be a bitch!

LvMpIl.jpg

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very nice intro post and welcome aboard.

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    Hey Brian, keep an eye on the yellow pads through the weekend if you have them front and rear...and be sure to have spares
    I was curious about that. The volume of friction material on this Cobra setup seems small compared to the job they need to do. I'll add spare pads to the kit.
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Brian,

We can't stress enough how hard ECR is on brakes. BL used up every set of pads and rotors in N. Texas one year. I went to a race there two years ago and only had three 20 minute races on the pads that were in the car and had to change them prior to the last race on Sunday. That did include a half day practice on Friday but still........

The track (if you have not been there) is several drag strips with hairpins at the end of each one.
    JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Welcome Brian! SWEET RIDE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    We can't stress enough how hard ECR is on brakes. BL used up every set of pads and rotors in N. Texas one year. I went to a race there two years ago and only had three 20 minute races on the pads that were in the car and had to change them prior to the last race on Sunday. That did include a half day practice on Friday but still........

The track (if you have not been there) is several drag strips with hairpins at the end of each one.
    JJ
    JJ & BL are obviously braking too much , but an extra set (or 2) of pads should always be in your spares box.

Can't wait to see that super-clean stang at the track!
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Very nice car... Almost a shame to put it on the track.. It's been 8 years since mine looked half that good...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Man its almost comical how light those old cars are...considering people used to think of them as tanks.
    Al Fernandez

Junior Member Rookie
    They look big but there's nothing to them. Andris Laivins did the cage and fabrication for the pedal cluster, seat, and fuel cell. He's accustomed to building Grand Am MX5s and he was dumbfounded by the utter lack of structure in the car. Old cars were engineered with protractors and abacuses, built of mixed quality steel and sloppy welds, and designed to crumple entirely in an accident. It took quite a bit of effort to build a safe car and stay within the rules for plates and mount points. I've had the car for 25 years and this is the safest it's ever been! It's also the most fun it's ever been, which justifies all the effort. I'm not a show car guy so a car not driven is useless IMO.
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Awesome that you have had the car for 25 years and now doing this. My first track day was in my 68 Camaro and I was hooked. I don't know anything about the brake pads you are running but if they aren't a 100% race pad then you need to be careful and keep a close eye on them after every session. JJ is right-I used up any spares that every F-body owner had one weekend. I had a different set of pads after every session. Killed mine, cracked, rotors, etc.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Junior Member Rookie
    Glenn and Marshall, I'd like to chat with you guys about getting tech'd and a log book on Friday the 5th at ECR if possible. What works best? My cell is five one two eight two six seven to to three
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX