Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vettes in AI?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    Just so its clear to everyone (should be, but there's some shit I keep reading btw the lines) - my S197 is a street car with a cage and I am "developing" it over many years as the budget (and just as importantly the time and talent) permits. Kyri and I were wanting to start the build on our second car and to run both in AI in which case its planned to be a salvaged S197 with a carb'd 351 5 speed, $1500 suspension, $2k brakes and home brew aero. We had planned to take the same approach as with the #404 (keep it a couple days work from CMC for a variety of reasons) but now the S197 fear/hate is full on in CMC and apparently creeping around in AI so I am really starting to rethink whether NASA is worth the effort....I'll surface again in December before I pull the trigger. Have fun at NOLA...see some of you in Austin.
    I'll not address your comments about AI, but for CMC, there is no "fear/hate". There is however data to shows the need to slow down that platform. At some point it is just not worth it to keep it. 235's in place of the 275 were not enough by themselves, yet some S-197 owners left CMC because of that change. And just so we are clear, Ford backed the 235 tire change. They agreed it was warrented. If you think CMC should be OK w/ having the S-197 as is, then surely your OK w/ AI having the C5/C6, right?

As for turn key cars vs home built cars....... So the ones from Ford go in another class. What about Rehagin built cars? How about those built (turn key) from a no name shop? Seems kinda hard to determin where the line is drawn there. Not sure of the point when the rules are written the same for all no matter the source of the finished product. Sounds like a nightmare to police.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Isn't a late model T-bird AI legal?
    AI 2?
    Progress? Progressives crack my ass up.
    You cut the limb of which you stand.

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    It's all Mark Smith's fault for buying a Boss 302S and destroying the ECR record twice...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Damn that guy / car.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Huge congrats to Mark on his track record and his accomplishments this year. I have been blown away at his progression at the regional events and at Nationals. It is crazy to think Mark hasn't even been doing this for 1 year, you AI guys are in trouble. :^)
    Bottom line is though, the track was crazy fast this past weekend with the cool air. James, Dan, and I all broke the previous track record and I was personally 1.2 seconds faster than my previous best time there.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    It's all Mark Smith's fault for buying a Boss 302S and destroying the ECR record twice...
    If anyone thinks this started with Mark, they _really_ haven't been paying attention...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    If anyone thinks this started with Mark, they _really_ haven't been paying attention...
    Richard P.
    Was more of a rub on the rookie...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

The reason why an AI car with someone like Martin or Cobetto driving is faster than the average PT or even ST vette has nothing to do with performance capability of the cars.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    who said the other drivers were average
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    The reason why an AI car with someone like Martin or Cobetto driving is faster than the average PT or even ST vette has nothing to do with performance capability of the cars.
    Maybe not but shaker rigs and ford factory development go a long way compared to the average home garage racer. Btw....Dean ain't Superman. Average at best in a continental race. Jumped start and all... I beat him in rolling shitbox that did a dukes of hazzard 36 hours prior.