Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 CMC rules are posted

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Um, third gens too. +100lbs since 2009. I'm curious how much longer the "oh, you don't need 4pots, stock brakes will hold up just fine" agrument will hold up at this rate.

You will be fine. At least until we switch to the new tires that are 3 seconds a lap faster. Then you're screwed...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Um, third gens too. +100lbs since 2009. I'm curious how much longer the "oh, you don't need 4pots, stock brakes will hold up just fine" agrument will hold up at this rate.
    I think we are already at that point... the extra weight isn't going to help that is for sure and then new tires next year will require it. I am not too happy to see the big weight penalties.

CMC racing is getting very close to that price/cost point where I say I am done.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    CMC racing is getting very close to that price/cost point where I say I am done.
    What would the old formula be called now, CMC-minus-1? I need to go see the changes before I say too much stupid stuff... don't worry, I'll be back.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Where is the link to the version with the changes highlighted?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I think we are already at that point... the extra weight isn't going to help that is for sure and then new tires next year will require it. I am not too happy to see the big weight penalties.

I'm going to disagree with you James this time. You know I'm with you on wishing we had never gone to big brakes, never added more power, never gone to larger tires and wheels, etc. but you just won the whole damn thing with stock brakes running against two guys with near $5000.00 worth of Stoptechs. Now when the new tire gets here the whole thing may change but for sure you don't need big brakes to win in CMC now and I doubt this extra weight will change that. I bet you would still beat 98% of us with 500 extra pounds. I do understand that CMC cost way more than it could and that adding the S197 started us down this road to Hell. As soon as it gets to where everyone thinks they must have the Stoptechs to race (and the new tire may do this) then I will be with you on thinking of moving on.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Linky to 2013 Changes

First, thanks to Al, Glenn, and the rest of the CMC Directors for giving their time so we can do this.

The commentary on minimum weight for 4th gens was interesting since I've come off track, not fuel starving at 3185 or so. I guess the good news is now I am "greatly encouraged" to add subframe connectors since it will be low weight that I need anyway.

Will the S197 cars have engine reliability issues getting down to the new HP/TQ levels?

What's the 3 year plan if the new tire really is that much stickier and stock brakes won't compete with the 4 pots?

Regardless, the plan is to have the car at dyno day and on the grid at Houston.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Linky to 2013 Changes

Regardless, the plan is to have the car at dyno day and on the grid at Houston.
    I plan to be right beside you.....or I hope, in front of you.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you James this time. You know I'm with you on wishing we had never gone to big brakes, never added more power, never gone to larger tires and wheels, etc. but you just won the whole damn thing with stock brakes running against two guys with near $5000.00 worth of Stoptechs. Now when the new tire gets here the whole thing may change but for sure you don't need big brakes to win in CMC now and I doubt this extra weight will change that. I bet you would still beat 98% of us with 500 extra pounds. I do understand that CMC cost way more than it could and that adding the S197 started us down this road to Hell. As soon as it gets to where everyone thinks they must have the Stoptechs to race (and the new tire may do this) then I will be with you on thinking of moving on.

JJ
    This coming year I think the stock brakes will get by.....but the next year no way. I am likely going to have to run a restrictor now to get down to 260-261 based on my cars weight. My car puts out 264 with no restrictor and I don't want the gigantic weight penaltly that comes for the couple of horses.

I now need to purchase restrictor plates again.

I have said many times that the directors have a very difficult job and one I don't want..but I do appreciate their efforts. Racing isn't cheap and I am aware of that...but I am just about at my personal limits of spending.

Come on James, the change to CMC2 for you was a couple of sets of wheels, a one time cost. Sure, brake pads and tires cost more nowadays, but thats because you guys drive too fast. If you slowed down to 8/10ths you'd be on one set of tires all year!

David...I'm not happy about the prospects of the RR...I dont see it doing anything favorable, but thats just my opinion
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Weight changes for 2013.
    It was my understanding that the Fords didn't change and the GM's went up by 50lbs. Did someone say above that the Fords went down 50 and the GM's went up 50lbs?