Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2013 CMC rules are posted

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Using up brake parts more is not really my concern about the RRs. My concern is grippier tires will make the cars less fun to drive, make it harder to recover from a mistake, and that it'll increase the damage done by going off road. If it was only up to me, the tires would be rock hard and we'd be in full on four wheel drifts in every corner, waging the tail on every exit, and on the brakes for ever trying to keep the tires from locking. That, to me, would be more fun. But hey, I'm crazy!
    Or you start failing stock based suspension parts on your 20 year old cars while cornering at higher loads.....or you go up in spring rates to deal with grip and your "cheap" shocks can't cut it anymore... sounds like new opportunities to spend money. Those are things to think about when significantly upping the grip.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    CMC racing is getting very close to that price/cost point where I say I am done.
    Too late for us...

for two years all I heard was... "just change motors", "bigger brakes are not that expensive", "we now have a source for $1600 shocks"...

I have yet to see a 3rd Gen upgrade that would cost less than $4000-5000 to be competitive...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27 View Post
    Too late for us...

for two years all I heard was... "just change motors", "bigger brakes are not that expensive", "we now have a source for $1600 shocks"...

I have yet to see a 3rd Gen upgrade that would cost less than $4000-5000 to be competitive...
    David you know I love you so that said I must tell you that all of us have wondered why you purchased the 3 car? Everyone knew that CMC1 was toast. You purchase the car then bitch when CMC1 was killed off. Several of us have wondered all along why you bought it?

I really doubt Gary spent four or five grand for his engine. In fact I bet he has less than that in the one that when boom at NOLA and the one he is replacing it with.

You do not need big brakes......James proved that this year. I bought the Wilwood kit from Don on the national board for $600.00 and I have them working great. The only thing I like better about the Stoptechs is the rotors. I go through four to six $60.00 rotors a year and Michael has not changed his in two years. I could purchase the Stoptech rotors but at over a grand I can go three years just to break even. I am considering getting them just so I don't have to screw with changing rotors. My pads for the Wilwoods cost $140.00 and they are double the thickness of the Cobras. I use only two sets a year!

You don't need $1600.00 shocks. I know James was not even running racing shocks a while ago and he has been fast since I started racing.

Get an engine in that POS and come race with us mid-pack slackers. Hell at ECR last year I was glad your boy did not have the extra power as it took all I have to keep him behind me.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    For $5000, you'd be able to do all sorts of upgrades on your car! LT1, 4-pots, AND shocks.

$800 I picked up a wrecked '97 LT1, even came with a T56 to put into my streetcar.
    $100 Power Steering Pump work
    $100 Fuel lines
    $200 exhaust rework
    $300 valve springs, gaskets, a/c delete pulley and misc stuff. TPI oil pan swaps right over.
    So for $1500, I dropped in the LT1. That's about what it costs to get a typical SBC rebuilt. I still havn't sold off the TPI yet, but can get a few hundred back from that. After my first few years running CMC1 at ~209hp, I was already expecting/wanting/bugeting to do a rebuild since I hadn't had any major failures so far.

$400 for spare LT1 longblock plus tin on CL

I'll agree that you NEED close to the 260hp to be competitive with comparable drivers. I doubt that if I got big brakes and AST's tomorrow, I'd be dicing it up with Mosty/Proctor/Dan. I like to think that if Wirtz or Burch campained my car as is sat pre-NOLA, it'd be on the podium each weekend.

I understand everyone's threshold for "how much is too much" is different. I have my racing budget, works out to be $1000 per race weekend, and $500 in maint/repairs/upgrades per year. It's difficult to do an entire season on much less than that. No major breakages in the first 3 years let me do the LT1 upgrade. No major breakages the next year let me upgrade to a T2R. Engine blow'd up this year means next upgade (brakes maybe?) gets kicked further down the road. If you don't have at least $500 set aside in your racing budget for maint/repairs per year, you're in the wrong hobby.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    David you know I love you so that said I must tell you that all of us have wondered why you purchased the 3 car? Everyone knew that CMC1 was toast. You purchase the car then bitch when CMC1 was killed off. Several of us have wondered all along why you bought it?

JJ
    I went to the top at Nationals and asked if CMC1 was going to be eliminated... answer "no"... "there should be enough interest to keep it going"... "low cost with limited upgrades made the series what it is today"... I had great expectations based on conversations with "higher ups" outside of the Texas Region... No big deal... Jason did an outstanding job in that car and thats all that counts...

Nowadays I enjoy taking it to DE's and running with other instructors and showing what that car can do and showing off my driving skills in other peoples cars...

Love to see the look on someones face when I show them the potential of their street cars...

Planning to make all the events next year, I miss the fellowship..