Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a HANS: what do I buy?

Need a HANS: what do I buy?

Heading to comp school in Feb if the car is ready (it should be).

Need a HANS for that, I gather.

What do I buy? I am 6'4", my helmet is apparently predrilled for HANS and I will have an Ultrashield containment seat, if any of that makes a difference.

Once I figure out what to get I'll probably go down to Simpson and pick it up. Just don't want to make what appears to be a $700-1K purchase without some guidance from the crew here.

Thank you.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Go with the necksgen unit. It's adjustable and a lot better design than the Hans. I sell them on motorsportheaven.com

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Go with the necksgen unit. It's adjustable and a lot better design than the Hans. I sell them on motorsportheaven.com
    Not at all familiar with the necksgen...can you elaborate? My son is close to Mike's height (6' 3") and he has an ultrashield full containment as well. We discussed the Hans fitting at length with the guys at Ultrashield when we had the seat built but since my son has not bought anything it would be worth getting a broader understanding of the choices.

If you go to my site Motorsportheaven.com and look under the head/neck restraint tab you'll see pictures of it. Basically what makes it better is it has wings on the shoulders that keep the belts from sliding off and the angle of the rear head rest is adjustable. Plus it comes with all the hardware you need to install in the helmet.

It is only SFI approved though so make sure that's ok with whatever class your running in. Hans is FIA Approved.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I'm a fan of the R3 & Hybrid from Simpson.
    NecksGen is something else to put on the consideration list.
    HANS can be a good choice with the right car, seat, etc so you don't slip out from under the belts.

info a friend of mine put together that pointed me towards the R3 being the best choice for my use, setup, etc:
    http://www.am-rennsport.com/HNR.html
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    HANS can be a good choice with the right car, seat, etc so you don't slip out from under the belts.
    ... I've tested my HANS on all three axis...it worked.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    And I've had friends follow the recommendations for belts, etc to the T and still had it pop out. Hard enough hit in the door was all it took. Won't kill you to consider alternatives. Kleenex isn't nessecarily the best tissue, just the most reconginzed name...

Just because you're wearing any form of these H&Ns doesn't mean you can't die doing this stuff also... be careful out there guys & gals.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    ...the recommendations for belts, etc to the T and still had it pop out. Hard enough hit in the door was all it took.
    Ken,
    With all due respect, the HANS isn't really designed for a side impact... That's what the containment seat or nets are for. I've had mine in a frontal impact and had no issues. Just make sure you have the belts placed properly and have them cinched down tight.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Ken,
    With all due respect, the HANS isn't really designed for a side impact... That's what the containment seat or nets are for. I've had mine in a frontal impact and had no issues. Just make sure you have the belts placed properly and have them cinched down tight.
    I don't know if it's a Hans brand or not but I see some units with a lip to hold the sholder belt in place. Mine look like they could come off easy. I like the lip idea to hold the belt in place on your sholder.

HH