Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torsen T2R Issue

Torsen T2R Issue

At Cressen I seem to have had an issue in the diff where the torsen didn't seem to lock up as it should. Noticeable in mid corner and seemed most noticeable on a left hander. No inside wheel spin but really had to feather the gas pedal mid to late in the corner.

I'll pull it later in the week but reading other forums it seems this might be an inherent fault that our friends at Torsen don't acknowledge or help with.

Anyone had similar issues?

Can the T2R be rebuilt or is it easier (considering cost vs result) to buy a new one?

Is there a better center for the 8.8"?

Appreciate info

Craig

So the Torsen issue seems to be the result of a missing letter, although my Torsen has the spring pack between the side gears (as in T2R) it is a T2 from a Ford Ranger and not a T2R. The T2 is only capable of redirecting about 30ftlbs of torq from the light inside wheel to the loaded outside wheel and the rest is allowed to spin at the friction plate on the outside of the side gear for the inside wheel. This was very prevelent on the off camber corners at Cressen.

If you want some sunday fun pull apart a Torsen and then upon finding nothing wrong put it back together. Mr Rubix and his cube have nothing on Mr Gleeson and his diff. It will/does go back together.

Anyway I have a plan to solve the missing letter issue.

For me the lesson learnt here was that despite a bucket load of ill founded internet info the best source was from the engineer at Torsen through a phone call. Despite what the internet might lead you to believe they are very forthcoming with technical info and advice.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Ugh, that sucks.
    I bought a T2 back in 2007 thinking it would work w/ our low HP limit but IMO it just doesn't function properly. I have run the T2R since middle of 07 without issue.
    I still have the T2 that I ran for 2 events that I'll make a smokin deal on if someone wants it. ;^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

I'm with you there. I guess the saying goes "pay to learn" and I learnt a bunch about diffs with this experience. T2R should be here from Torsen by Friday

Make that 2 smokin deals on T2.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did they tell you the bias ratio on the T2R? Any tech info you want to share w/ those of us who have T2R's?
    Cost?

No secrets here mate.....

The cost from Torsen $670 plus shipping (3-4 days) for a round total of $700. No tax applicable.

The bias ratio of the T2R as stock is 4:1 and Torsen would recomend no higher without loads more horsepower. The 4:1 was mainly designed for autocross but suits our HP on tight technical tracks well. Increasing the bias ratio is achieved by replacing the friction washers and also the contact pattern (and TPI) of the planetary and side gears. Basically increasing friction in the assembly increases the bias ratio. At least that's as best as my feable mind comprehended.

Oil is not a significant factor (in their opinion) as long as you have some in there. They did concede that a higher viscosity has some slight negative effect on locking but it is minor. Adding friction modifier will decrease noise but have no noticable effect on performance. I said I intended using Redline 75W90NS and they thought that would be a good choice.

Torsen dont recommend disassembly (which is partly why they have lifetime warrantee even for race application) although it is fairly easy once you undersatnd some of Rubix principals (instead of changing the colors on the cube mark the planetary gears for location and orientation prior to disassembly). The unfortunate thing is once disassembled Torsen wont sell you component parts (again warranteeing to avoid bad press from poor mechanics)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great info. I would love to send mine in for a re-fresh.
    Are there any vendors who sell a new one for less than $700? I recall these bing in the $500 range a few years ago.
    Thanks for the fluid info. I just drained mine and was trying to remember what it took.

I looked around a bit for price comparrison but eventually convinced myself that sticking with OEM direct would give less hassle should I ever need to use the warrantee. The guy at Torsen said they watch their distributor pricing (Ford Racing in particular) to make sure they are close.

Glenn,

If I understand the design correctly this is actually a case of "if it aint broke dont xxxx with it". Aparently the best check (short of disassembly) is to jack up one rear wheel and apply torque to the other, the resistance should be high. If resistance is low then the friction plates are worn and the diff needs rework.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Torsen should be able to provide the "breakaway torque" for the unloaded wheel. Ford has a specification for their stock Trak-Lok diffs (which I still use with much success).

A Note on Ford Trak-Lok diffs:
    It does require a refresh every year or two with new shims to tighten things up. I've been running the same clutches/steels for 7 years (20+ weekends for me since I haven't ever really made a full season except 2011).
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...