Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torsen T2R Issue

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post

On a side note, I still have the T2 in its original bag and box if anyone would like to buy it. It is a great piece and will do awesome in any race car!! ;^)
    Except the 11 CMC Mustang

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    +1. I've had a T2R in my car since it's nitrous & slicks days in '04. It still works great.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    You guys are funny....

<---same eaton since 2002. No wheel spin even with 430+ to the wheels.
    Ah, fugg it.

FYI, wheel spin on the inside rear when cornering is a set up issue not a differential issue (unless you are running a locked rear end). Although the torque bias ratio of a T2R is high at 4:1 it relies on both wheels to be planted to be able to transmit this torque across the driveline. The Torsen engineers will confirm this for you. For a practical understanding put the car on stands and have someone hold one wheel while you turn the other, there will be resistance but the wheel will turn (albeit at a higher torque than a T2). For the same reason that the wheel turns in this scenario it will spin if completely unloaded. The key is to ensure there is no bind in the rear end suspension and that both wheels remain in contact with the black stuff (no matter how fragile the contact might be with the inside wheel).

Take it a step further and (systematically) pull a T2R completely apart (not recommended by Torsen), making sure to note position and clocking of the planetary assembly. After a full afternoon and several head scratching beers you'll work it out. It looks nothing like the drawing you'll find on the internet, which shows all available T2&R options rather than a specific configuration. It will eventually go back together but may require more beers and head scratching plus a contorted expression....

There's an a Eaton and a T2 sitting on my shelf for anyone who misses out on Michael's offer.....

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post

<---same eaton since 2002. No wheel spin even with 430+ to the wheels.
    +1. 2009 Eaton, never rebuilt, zero problems.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    T2R since 05 with no issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    FYI, wheel spin on the inside rear when cornering is a set up issue not a differential issue (unless you are running a locked rear end). Although the torque bias ratio of a T2R is high at 4:1 it relies on both wheels to be planted to be able to transmit this torque across the driveline. The Torsen engineers will confirm this for you. For a practical understanding put the car on stands and have someone hold one wheel while you turn the other, there will be resistance but the wheel will turn (albeit at a higher torque than a T2). For the same reason that the wheel turns in this scenario it will spin if completely unloaded. The key is to ensure there is no bind in the rear end suspension and that both wheels remain in contact with the black stuff (no matter how fragile the contact might be with the inside wheel).

Take it a step further and (systematically) pull a T2R completely apart (not recommended by Torsen), making sure to note position and clocking of the planetary assembly. After a full afternoon and several head scratching beers you'll work it out. It looks nothing like the drawing you'll find on the internet, which shows all available T2&R options rather than a specific configuration. It will eventually go back together but may require more beers and head scratching plus a contorted expression....

There's an a Eaton and a T2 sitting on my shelf for anyone who misses out on Michael's offer.....
    You may be right. When I was really having issues the car also would not turn right without pushing like a dump truck. Turned out to be the left rear was in a bind due to the strap that was installed to keep the shorter spring from falling out when you jacked up the car. When I put a longer strap on the push during right turns went away. I had installed a new T2R before I figured out the turning issue. The diff may have been okay.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I'll likely be upgrading to the T2R before January, but I was curious if everyone was sticking with the 28 spline or upgrading to 31? Is the 31 overkill for our application?

Blog Entries
    You don't need the 31. 28 spline is fine at CMC power levels.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Im running the FRPP Boss 302 T2R and I am not a fan, I have been spoiled with os giken though in my miata. When I ran the car at cresson without sway bars it was terrible, once I got some bars on the car is was much better but still not great, had some issues at hallet, would always spin the inside at turn 9, I am thinking about going to a clutch style diff, sounds like eaton may be a good route.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net